::17::

"So you missed me, huh?" Trev smiled as he brought my x-ray in. My nose was broken, a piece of bone was chipped off. He wanted to check out my ribs.

"Yeah, haven't gotten enough." Landon was in the room with me, holding my hand. I felt him squeeze tighter. I looked up at his face, and saw him struggle not to laugh.

"Two broken ribs." Trev frowned. 

"No, I don't hurt that bad." I lied.

"I'm calling your parents, and are you still on your pain killers?"

"I'm off. Almost out anyways."

"Okay, I'm prescribing more." He wrote on a slip of paper. "It should also help with that eye."

"Alright. Thanks."

"How's your back?"

"It was better..." 

"what happened?"

"He hurt it." 

"Who?"

"The person who did this." 

"You don't know him?"'he gave me a questioning look like he didn't believe me.

"No. I see him all the time, but don't know his name."

"Ever think to show somebody a picture?"

"I'm not a narc." I laughed.

"But you're not safe." He mocked. 

"Look, shit happens, oh well." 

Trev let out a frustrated sigh.

"Show me tomorrow." Landon kissed my head. I nodded, even though I wasn't going to.

"Do you want me to call your mom or dad?" Trev was acting professional again.

"Well my mom will freak out, and my dad will pester me all night."I sighed. "Dad."

"Alright." He nodded.

"You're going to stop getting hurt soon, right?" Landon's thumb massaged the back of my hand.

"Yes, Mother. I will go to school wrapped in bubble wrap wearing a helmet."  

Landon rolled his eyes. "If that's what it takes."

"Goddammit, Dexter!"

"Uh, hi, Dad." I said nervously looking away from him. That didn't stop him from storming up to me, red faced. I gripped Landon's hand tighter, humiliated. 

Maybe Mom should've been the one to call.

"I finally let you go back to school. I wasn't happy about it, but let you go. Now, your first day back, you get a broken, fucking, nose, and broken ribs. Your heads all dented and bruised, your lips busted..." He looked at the ground an shook his head, fists balled up. "Who the hell did this?"

"I don't know." I shrugged, finally able to meet his eyes. Dad looked at Landon and raised an eyebrow.  

"Do you know?" Dad asked him. 

Landon shook his head. "He truly doesn't know."

"Dammit, Boy." Dad growled.

"Uh, Sir, here's his new medication, and resting habits. He can go to school, but I can give him a note to stay home. Otherwise no gym, extended sports, the works." Trev talked to him.

"Alright, thank you." Dad shook his hand. "Dex, let's go." I jumped off the examination table, and winced, holding my rib area.

"You okay?" Landon was right there, arms wrapped around me.