| Chapter 4, Joining forces

|There's nothing I can see, darkness becomes me

|Song: Silhouettes, Of Monsters And Men

|||

Lisa's P.O.V.

'We have to act now!' I yelled at Gally, my eyes glued to the screen. My heart was beating in my throat as I watched the men in black coats take Dawn away.
'Not yet,' Gally answered, his eyes narrowed as he stared at the screen as well. 'We have to wait until she's inside this building, only then we'll have a chance.'
I sighed impatiently, knowing he was right.

We had watched the screens for hours now and figured out the building where the Gladers were staying was only a few metres away from here. This we knew because the building was just visible on the camera at the back door.
I had to watch hopelessly as the Gladers fell right into the trap Wicked set for them. Dawn had just been taken by someone I'd like to call Ratman. Just because his face reminded me of an old, ugly rat. My whole body was put on alert everytime he appeared on one of the screens.
But right now my eyes were focused on the screen which showed Dawn being operated. They now had removed the last pieces of the bullet out of her arm and were stitching her back up. If it hadn't been my best friend they were operating on I actually would've been interested in watching this.

Meanwhile Gally had been studying all the screens, connecting hallways and rooms. And so we had figured out a route straight to the Gladers.
By looking at the cameras we figured we were on the third floor and we needed to get to the back door on the ground level to get to the Gladers. But now they had taken Dawn things had become even more complicated.

'I think I may have an idea,' Gally suddenly spoke.
I turned to him. 'Spill.'
He crossed his arms over his chest, narrowing at the screen. 'You get Dawn, while I take a quick stop at the weapon room. We meet each other at the back door. Get to the Gladers, take them out and disappear.'
I nodded, there was a lot that could go wrong but what other choice did we have?

'Okay, when?' I asked.
Gally turned to me. 'Tonight.'

I raised my eyebrows at him. 'Are you sure?' I couldn't risk anything going wrong.
'I've studied these cameras for almost three days now. I know which patterns the guards walk through the building. I know the way, we can't wait any longer with the risk of getting found,' Gally answered, impatient. I took a deep breath, turning back to the screen. 'Okay, tonight.'

A sudden sound by the door made me turn around. 'Shuck,' Gally mumbled through gritted teeth. We shared a quick glare and ran as fast and silent as we could out of the control room and into the hospital-like-room. Quickly I jumped on the table and lay as silent as I could, and just in time. The door opened and two doctors walked in. They were having a heated discussion and so they didn't notice us.

'We will make it in time,' a female voice said. 'DA Janson will speak with them in a few hours and send them through the Flat Trans. We are completely on scedule.'

'Still I worry about the pace we are doing this. Should we not give the Subjects more time to adjust to their new surroundings?' A male voice answered.
The woman was silent for a few seconds. Then slowly I heard her heels approaching the tables Gally and I were on. I tried to steady my breathing as my heart started beating faster.

'How are they awake?' The woman whispered. 'Get Janson!' She suddenly screamed.
I reacted faster than I ever thought I could. I sat up, looked straight in the eyes of the terrified doctor, reached out and hit her in the face. Just like Minho taught me.
She yelled and fell down. I jumped off the table and was on top of her in a matter of seconds. I took her head in my hands and smashed it against the floor. She let out one last groan before falling silent. Blood formed around her head and stuck on my hands. I bit my lip while standing up, only to see Gally had knocked the male doctor out cold as well.

'Guess we're going to safe them now,' he said, breathing heavily.

I noddded while wiping my hands clean at the doctor her jacket. Then I reached for her security pass.
'Let's go,' I told Gally.

Carefully we made our way out of the room. We didn't have any weapons and the doctors weren't carrying any either. So that was our first priority, get weapons.
If Gally's observations were right we had to get to the second floor. I was running and stopping at every corner to see if there was someone coming. But it was like the building was completely abandoned. There were no guards and no doctors to be seen anywhere.

We made our way to the end of the hall and there we were met with the first resistance, two guards rounded the corner just as we did. And for a few seconds we could only stare at each other. Then, before they could move or fire I dived down and tackled one of the guards, pinning his arms against the ground to stop him from reaching for his gun.
He was struggling, groaning to get free. I let out a yelp of effort. He was strong.
In the distance I heard Gally fighting with the other guard, I was on my own.

Suddenly the guard rolled around, breaking free from my grip and kicked me against my head in the process. I screamed as I fell down on the ground. Immediately I tried to get up again but the world was spinning around me. A gun was pointed at my head and I stared up at the guard, looking him straight in the eye.

'One Subject less wouldn't matter,' he spat and pulled the trigger.

But I was prepared and fell down flat on the ground, instead of hitting my head the bullet hit me in my shoulder. A scream left my mouth and I forced my tears back.
The guard laughed and suddenly I wanted to kill him.
Slowly I stood up, shaking, blood dripping from the wound in my shoulder on the floor. I looked the guard straight in his eyes as he aimed the gun at my head once again.
But before he could pull the trigger I ran forward, knocking him over. The world flashed white when my shoulder hit the ground and I bit my tongue to hold back my scream.

The guard was struggling to get up but I had his ankle in a strong hold. Very slowly I crawled forwards, making sure my shoulder didn't touch the ground and I took the second gun from his belt. His eyes widened as he watched me take it. I looked up at him.

'One less guard wouldn't matter,' I hissed.

I took the gun by the front sight and before the guard could move I hit him out cold with the grip.

Breathing heavily I stood up, my view becoming one big blur. I stumbled on my feet and felt two strong arms around me.
'Try not to move,' Gally said as he put me next to wall, providing me with some grip.
I nodded, wiping the sweat on my forehead away.
'What do I do?' Gally said, looking me very serieusly in the eye. I could only stare back at him.
'We may've lost our shuck memories but we're not stupid. We didn't make you a Med-jack for nothing.' Somehow those words shook me awake. 'Can't take the bullet out, put pressure on it,' I whispered.

Gally looked around before kneeling down by one of the guards and ripping their shirts off. Then he came back to me and bound the fabric around the wound. I bit my lip not to scream in pain. Then he handed me one of the guards guns.
'You think we can go on?'

I looked him in the eye, forcing back my nausea. 'Let's safe them.'