| Chapter 27, Alive

|I saw my life in a strangers face, and it was mine

|Song: Alive, Sia

|||

Dawn's P.O.V

It was Jorge who woke all of us up. Morning had barely even settled but he told us it wasn't a good idea to stay in one place too long. We all agreed and started to pack things up. We took as many weapons with us as we could and put the cold beans into a bag, who knew where we would find food again. And so we left. Leaving the old villa behind, we made our way through the city. Though we had to be careful, more Cranks seemed to awake and we were almost seen by them, several times.

Newt seemed to be in a slightly better mood since our talk yesterday which made me feel slightly better as well. It felt like a weight had been lifted of my shoulders, at least he knew everything I did now, no more secrets. I didn't seem to be the only one who noticed Newt was slightly happier because soon enough Minho came walking next to me, a small smirk on his face.

'What is it?' I asked him, keeping my eyes focused on the road ahead of us.

'Is it true that you and Newt had wild sex last night while you were suppose to be on watch?' He asked, his tone mocking.

I felt a crimson red blush appear on my cheeks and hit him on his arm. 'Who said that?'

Minho shrugged. 'Everyone, we all talk about it. It must have been good since Newt seems to be pretty happy.' He gave me a curious glare. 'So it's true?'

'No!' I yelled at him, then saw several Gladers turn to look at me and I repeated in a softer tone. 'No! We didn't, we just talked!'

A big smirk appeared on Minho his face and I gasped. 'You're joking with me.'

He laughed. 'It's too easy.'

Hitting his arm again, harder this time, I focused on the road ahead again. Though a small smile appeared on my face as well, I just couldn't help myself.

Slowly but surely we made our way through the city. The buildings were covering our view but Jorge assured us that the mountains were close and what other option did we have than to believe him? We had reached an intersection and Jorge gestured for me, since I was walking ahead, to look around the corner to see if there were any Cranks.

Biting my lip I looked around a corner, hoping against hope there wouldn't be any Cranks. My breath caught in my throat when I noticed not one but six of them! Then I frowned, it looked like three of them were ready to take on the other three.

'Dawn, what do you see? Can we cross the street or not?' Leon whispered in my ear.

I gestured for him to come over and take a look. I heard him move behind me and then he glared around the corner as well.
'That's Thomas!' He gasped.
My eyes widened. 'No, really?' I turned to look again but the three other Cranks were blocking my view. Then one of them moved and my eyes widened slightly when I saw Lisa, Thomas and Brenda standing there, completely trapped.
A small frown appeared on my face as I watched the three Cranks point their weapons at our friends and then pushed them towards a door in the wall. It took a while but then the door opened and they disappeared inside.

'Hey, what's going on there!' Frypan yelled from the back of the row.

Leon and I turned back to the others. 'Thomas, Lisa and Brenda were back there, these three Cranks took them into this building,' Leon said, pointing at the house the six had just disappeared in.
The Gladers shared a worried glare. 'What do we do now?' Aris asked.
'Isn't that obvious,' Minho said, an angry expression on his face. 'We attack and get them back.'
'Woah, hermano, not so fast,' Jorge said. 'I know the Cranks in this house, they're part of a group that loves to party. In a few hours they'll all be wasted. If we wait just a bit we can attack without having to deal with any resistance!'
Minho frowned, clearly not liking the fact that Jorge was in charge so much but eventually he just nodded. 'Okay shanks, let's find shelter and wait until they're all down.'

We found shelter in a house across the road from where our friends were held captive.
Jorge had handed us all some beans. I ate them but didn't taste much as I thought about Lisa and Thomas being in there. Who knew what those Cranks were doing to them?
I wasn't the only one who seemed restless. Minho kept on pacing back and forth, snapping at everyone who dared to talk to him.
Eventually he gave up though and sat down in a corner, glaring into nothing.

'What's gotten in his head?' Newt asked me, coming to sit down next to me.
I frowned at him. 'You really haven't figured it out yet?'
Newt raised his eyebrows. 'Figured what out?'
A laugh came out of my mouth before I could stop myself and Newt his expression became only more baffled.
Finally I stopped laughing and threw him a tired glare. 'Lisa,' I whispered.
Then the realisation dawned on him. 'You're bloody serious?' He asked quietly.
I nodded at him, a smile lingering on my face. 'I really can't believe you hadn't figured it out.'

'Figured what out?' Minho's voice suddenly sounded from above us.
I glared up, seeing the Runner standing over us. 'Nothing,' I said, trying to keep my face straight.
Minho narrowed at me but then shrugged. 'We gotta go shanks, we waited long enough and who knows what those bastards did to our friends.'

I stood by the door I saw Thomas, Lisa and Brenda go through. My knife was tightly in my hand. Throwing a glare over my shoulder at the Gladers behind me, all raised knives as well, I nodded. Then faced back forwards to Minho who stood next to the door.
'Three,' he whispered. 'Two.'
I took a deep breath.
'One!' With a huge force he kicked down the door, running inside.
I followed him, my weapon raised above my head.

The smell hit me first, alcohol, sweat and puke.
Then my eyes got used to the dark light and I saw most of the Cranks were lying down on the ground, completely passed out, Jorge had been right.
Though, not all of them were completely gone. A few of them got up, screaming at us.

A woman charged at me, a piece of glass in her hand.
I screamed at her, raising my knife and threw it right into her head.
Her eyes widened, she dropped the glasses, it hit the ground and shattered into a thousand pieces. Then her body fell down as well.
Frowning in disgust I walked towards her and pulled the knife out of her head.
I turned around, scanning the room for any sign of our friends but all I saw were passed out infected humans.

'They're not here,' Newt said.

'No! No! They have to be!' Minho yelled, making me jump.

Suddenly a battle cry sounded. I turned around sharply, seeing the three Cranks who attacked our missing friends earlier in the alley, come running up a few stairs in the corner of the room.
Then my eyes widened, one of them was carrying a gun!
Reacting as fast as I could I ran forwards, my body colliding with his. A scream left his lips as we fell down on the ground.
I heard the Gladers shout but payed no attention to them as I raised my fist and punched the Crank right in his face. Blood came dripping out of us nose and he groaned in pain.
Then I reached out and took the gun out of his belt. I jumped up and pointed it at him, making sure he stayed down.
Carefully I turned around, seeing Frypan and Aris had knocked out the other two monsters.

Suddenly Minho came rushing forwards, took the gun out of my hand and clicked the safety off.
'What are you doing!' I yelled at him.
'Where're our friends!' Minho screamed at the Crank.
The wounded man simply smirked but then Minho lashed out and hit him right on his already broken nose.
A surprised yelp left my lips as the Crank screamed in pain.
'Talk, you bastard!' Minho screamed again.
The Crank mumbled something and then pointed towards the stairs in the corner of the room.

Minho turned to the rest of us. 'Guard these klunkheads,' he ordered. Then he handed me back the gun, raised his knife and ran towards the stairs, disappearing in the darkness.