| Chapter 38, Fighting the odds

|I will reach inside, just to find my heart is beating

|Song: Bleeding out, Imagine Dragons

|||

Lisa's P.O.V.

The scream of metal rubbing against metal stopped. No one spoke. The wind ripped across the land, blowing dust and dirt against the just appeared containers.
I shared a worried glare with Dawn. 'Hey!' Thomas yelled and gestured for us to move over. We did, just like Minho, Newt, Teresa, Harriet and Sonya.
'So what do we do?' Minho asked. He gave Teresa an annoyed glare as if he didn't want her to be any part of the decision making.
Newt answered. 'If those things have bloody Grievers in 'em, we best start gettin' ready to fight the shuck buggers.'
Grievers? I frowned and threw another glare at the white containers. Somewhere deep down in the back of my mind I recalled the room where Chuck died, with in the back the same white containers. Some were open and held Grievers inside them. I shivered at the memory but was pulled back to reality when above us thunder crackled and boomed. The flashes of light were growing brighter. The wind tore at everyone's clothes and hair.
'We've only got twenty-five minutes left,' Thomas said, checking his watch. 'We're either gonna be fighting Grievers or we need to get inside those big coffins at the right time. Maybe they're the-' A sharp hiss cut through his words. It came from all around us.
Everyone moved to look at the coffins. A line of dark blue light had appeared on one side of each container, then expanded as the top half of the object started to open. My heart started beating faster at the thought of what might be in there. Hoping against hope we wouldn't have to fight it. I noticed all the Gladers moving together as far away possible from the weird coffins. We formed a tight group in the middle of the circle the containers had formed. The lids continued moving until they had all swung open and dropped to the ground. I squinted to try and get a look at whatever was inside, my hand already resting on my gun.

For a minute it was completely silent.
I could only stare at the pods, feeling dread spread through me and suddenly something moved. A collective gasp went through the group. A misshapen arm hung over the edge of the pod, whatever was inside of it was trying to get out. The hand on the end of the arm had four disfigured fingers, none of them had the same length. They wiggled and grasped for something that wasn't there. They had a weird red color, like fresh clay taken out of the ground. The arm was covered with wrinkles and lumps and there was something completely strange located at where the elbow should be. I could only describe it as a lightbulb glued to his arm, glowing bright orange.
The monster continued to emerge, and by now everyone around me was reaching for their weapons. My heart was in my throat as I watched the monster rise. A leg flopped out, its foot a fleshy mess, four knobs of toes wriggling as much as its fingers. And on both his knees were two other light bulbs, seemingly growing right out of its skin.

'What's that thing?' Minho shouted over the noise of the growing storm. No one answered. Feeling completely dazed I stared at the creature. Watching in horror as the thing finally got out of the pod and stumbled to the ground. Roughly human-shaped, though at least a couple of feet taller than any of us. Most disturbing were the strange light bulbs, spread over the monster its body.
My eyes tried to discover a face, but it had none. No eyes, nose, mouth, ears or hair. I looked around me and saw that out of each pod the same monster had come. We were surrounded.
I clenched my jaw. There was, again, no other option than to fight. It was like Wicked wanted there to be as few of us left as possible. Challenge after challenge, fight after fight and I was getting sick of it. So I took a deep breath and decided to safe my anger for the fight. This time, I was going to be in control.

In an unison all the creatures raised their arms until they pointed to the sky. Then, all at once, thin blades shot out of the tips of their disfigured fingers, toes and even their shoulders. Though they had no mouth a deadly, creepy moan sounded through the air, coming from their direction. Louder than even the thunder.
Suddenly Minho turned and faced the crowd of close standing Gladers. 'There's about one for each of us! Grab whatever you got for a weapon!' Immediately I took my gun out of my belt. Next to me Dawn took two knives out of her pocket. She looked at me, fear in her eyes but she smiled anyway. Then she handed me one of her smaller knives. 'For when you run out of bullets,' she said, trying to sound calm but her voice was shaking.
I returned to smile, though I could feel how forced it was. 'Stay alive,' I replied and she gave me a curt nod, a sudden determination in her eyes.