| Chapter 20, Fighting monsters, battling demons

|Why won't somebody come and save me from this, make it end?

|Song: Monster, Skillet

|||

Dawn's P.O.V.

It was getting dark and with the dark appearing so did the frown on Jorge's face. He kept on mumbling and looking around. His eyes glowing like those of a cat, searching the surroundings. I could tell he was growing nervous. And it didn't help me much either.

I wasn't focused on the things around me and just kept on staring at Minho's feet before me. I hadn't had a good night sleep for weeks. My memories returning kept me awake. Usually I only saw vague colors and heard muffled voices but when I was asleep there were events of my past playing out right before my eyes and I didn't want to know anymore. It was already bad enough that I felt so guilty everytime I looked at Newt.
Yes, he was pushing me away but I was pushing him away too. Being around him, seeing this new sad and depressed side of him, made me feel so incredibly guilty. I was the reason he was here, that he was feeling this way in the first place. If I hadn't fallen for Wicked's trap, if I had been faster, smarter, he wouldn't even be here. He'd be safe in his house in the calm street of the beautiful city.
And that was the real reason I had kept my distance from him. I just had no idea how to tell anyone that.

I sighed and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, trying to shake the thoughts off of me.
'Hey you okay there?' Minho turned around to look at me.
I gave him a reassuring smile.
He narrowed, probably trying to figure out if it was real or not but then he shrugged and turned back around.
'I think we should find a place to stay for the night. You hermanos don't want to walk 'round this place after sunset,' Jorge's voice sounded from the front of the group.
'Good that, how 'bout that building?' Newt pointed to an old and fragile looking house. It was big and had a destroyed roof but it was well hidden between a few high flats. Somehow it was perfect.

Jorge nodded and told us to cross the road one at the time. Then he looked to his left then his right and crossed the street. Minho went next, then Newt.
Frypan nodded at me and I returned a smile. My eyes searched the road. There was nothing to be seen, not even a shadow moving.
I took a breath and walked with a quick pace to the other side but I hadn't even made it to half of the street when suddenly a shriek sounded through the air.

High and scary.

My breath was caught in my throat and suddenly, out of a gap in the ground before me jumped a figure. It landed right before my feet. It was a man around the fourty years old. His right ear was missing and there was a huge scar in his cheek through which his teeth were visible. He looked at me, a hunger appearing in his eyes and he licked his lips.

A shiver went down my spine. 

More figures appeared. 

They came from everywhere. Buildings, out of holes in the ground and soon a group of at least twenty cranks had surrounded us.

Well, more like they had surrounded me. They were standing in a wide circle around me all of them with that same hunger in their eyes.

'Ehmm guys,' I mumbled, suddenly really missing my bow.
'Oh this is going to be fun, hermanos,' Jorge said.
'Fun? More like disgusting,' I answered him.
'Hey shanks we're just passing by. We were just about to leave. So how 'bout we take the lady and we'll be off with it. Yeah?' Minho's voice sounded.
'Hunger,' one of the cranks answered, his voice low and hoarse.
'Food,' another one spoke.
It was like they were in some kind of trance and it was making me nervous.

Suddenly one of them let out a high scream and all at once they charged at me. I screamed with fear, trying to position myself in a somewhat defensive position.