| Chapter 40, Goodbye

|You tell me to hold on, but innocence is gone and what was right is wrong

|Song: Bleeding out, Imagine Dragons

|||

Lisa's P.O.V

Minho took my hand, trying to turn me away from the scene but I kept my feet firmly on the ground, forcing myself to look at the boy his lifeless body.

'I killed him,' I whispered, loud enough for Minho to hear. A small frown was drawn on his face and for a second it looked like he was about to comfort me but a sudden sound shook the both of us awake.

The Berg. It was going up!

'Guys! Shuck-faces! Come on we have to go!' Minho screamed above the thunder.

Suddenly the whole group started to moved. The Berg had already reached three feet off the ground, slowly rising and turning at the same time.
Before I knew what I was doing I was running towards it. My feet carried me through the mud while rain fell down on me.
Dawn came running next to me, gave me a worried glare but we both knew there was no time for talking. Thomas ran before me. Newt with his limp on my left. Minho next to him, eyeing him to make sure he didn't fall.
A couple of Gladers reached the Berg first. They dove onto the platform of the open cargo door and climbed inside. Still it rose. Others reached it, climbed on, scambled inside.
Then Thomas reached it. He jumped, pushed his hands down on the flat metal. Swung his right feet up and rolled onto the door. The Berg was now six feet off the ground, starting to tilt. I gestured for Dawn to go first. She grabed the platform and pushed herself up. Thomas took her arms to make sure she didn't fall. Minho was next, pulling himself up like it wasn't an effort at all. Newt was helped by Harriet. Next to me Jorge took the leap and made it. Brenda and I shared a glare. We were the last ones.

'You go,' I urged.
She didn't argue and jumped. Thomas took her hands and helped her inside.
Then it was my turn. Minho was already lying on his stomach, arms outstretched. Dawn was holding onto his legs to make sure he didn't fall.
I threw a glare over my shoulder. In the distance, clouded by a curtain of rain, Leon his body was visible, sending a stab of pain through my heart.
I didn't deserved to be rescued. I killed someone, this time I really attacked the Gladers. How was I worthy of the safe haven?

'Lisa!' Minho yelled my name.

I turned back to him, saw the desperation in his eyes. He knew I wanted to stay, he knew I had decided. I stopped running, stopped trying to jump. Staying here was the only option I had. Here I could never hurt anyone.

Suddenly Minho rolled a few feet down onto the still open door, Dawn and Newt holding his legs. I just stared at them, didn't stretch out my arm or tried to grab Minho his hand. Frustrated he screamed my name again.
Then he rolled further down, so far he was able to grab my arm, without me reaching up. A gasp left my lips as I was suddenly lifted of the ground, dangling above the rocks and dry land.
'Come on!' Minho yelled, his voice thick from the effort it took of holding on to me.
I looked up, rain clouded my view, but I saw Jorge, Thomas, Brenda, Dawn and Newt had made a human chain. They were all lying of their stomachs, grabing each other's feet just so Minho could lift me of the ground.
Seeing them, hanging there, endangering their own lives for me, made me forget all about Leon.
I let out a groan of effort as I started pulling myself up at the metal door. A scream left my lips as I tried to get a grip on the smooth metal. Dawn yelled my name, Thomas encouraged me, Newt yelled for me to hold on. Minho still had my arm tightly in his hand, it hurt but it didn't matter.
With the last bit of strength that I had left I pushed myself up and rolled into the Berg.