| Chapter 28, The real leader

|You took it all, but I'm still breathing

|Song: Alive, Sia

|||

Lisa's P.O.V.

I awoke by Brenda's voice, talking to Thomas. Something about having a bad dream. Seemed like I wasn't the only one having trouble sleeping. Last night I awoke at least four times from a horrible nightmare. I sighed, rubbed my eyes and sat up. My back was hurting from lying on the hard seats.
Brenda and Thomas had their own little conversation and I didn't really listen until it took an interesting turn.

'Tell me a little bit more about what life's like now. They took most of our memories, some of mine came back. But they're sketchy and I don't know if I can trust them. There isn't much about the outside world either,' Thomas said.

This subject got me curious and I sat in a comfortable position to listen to Brenda's answer. She sighed deeply. 'The outside world, huh? Well, it sucks. The temperatures are finally starting to go down, but it'll be forever before the sea levels do the same. It's been a long time since the flares, but so many people died, Thomas. So many. It's actually kind of amazing how everyone who survived stabilized and civilized so quickly. If it weren't for the stupid Flare, I think the world would pull through in the long run.'

I felt curiousity burning inside of me. 'What did happen? Are there new countries, or just one big coverment? And how does Wicked fit in? Are they the coverment?' Thomas asked before I could say anything.

'There are still countries, but they're more unified. Once the Flare started spreading like crazy, they combined all their forces, technology, resources, whatever to start up Wicked. They have set up this crazy testing system and have tried really hard to slow the Flare down. But they can't stop it. I think the only hope is to find a cure. Hope you're right that they've done it. But if they have they sure haven't shared it with the public yet.'

'So where are we?' Thomas asked. 'Where are we right now?'

'In a truck,' Brenda responded dryly.

I snickered, but Thomas didn't even move. Although I still didn't fully trust her I was starting to like this girl.

She continued. 'Sorry, bad time for jokes-' 'It's never a bad time for jokes, people need a laugh every once in a while,' I interrupted her.

She gave me a smile. 'Anyway, judging by the labels on the food we're in Mexico. Or what used to be Mexico. It makes the most sense. Now it's called the Scorch. Basically any area between the two Tropics is a complete wastland now. Central and South America, most of Africa, the Middle East and southern Asia. Lots of dead lands, lots of dead people. So, welcome to the Scorch. Isn't it nice of them to send us sweet Cranks down here?'
'Man,' Thomas responded while I stared off into the distance. Trying to imagine a map of the world in my head. But no matter how hard I tried I didn't came any further than America. I groaned in frustration, earning a glare from both Thomas and Brenda.

I sighed. 'I just tried to remember the world, and failed.'

Thomas gave me an understanding glare. Which I was somehow thankful for.

'You know what,' Brenda said and sat up in her chair. 'We should get moving. We wouldn't want to lose our friends again.'
I frowned at her saying "our friends" but didn't argue. I was more than ready to get out of this truck and find the others. I basically kicked the door open and jumped out. I let out a groan and stretched my arms and legs. Thomas and Brenda followed with grins on their faces.

Suddenly Thomas grin faded as he gazed at the wall. I frowned and followed his glare. He was staring at a large metal plaque, riveted into the wall. I squinted my eyes as I read the letters over and over. But they didn't change.

"Thomas, You're The Real Leader."

I blinked and finally turned my gaze to Thomas. He was totally frozen, staring at the metal plaque.

'I was waiting for the right time to tell you,' Brenda said, walking up from behind him.
Thomas jerked his head back to look at her. 'What? What're you talking about?'
She didn't look at him when she answered. 'Ever since I found out what your name was. Same with Jorge. It's probably why he decided to take his chances and go with you through the city and to this safe haven of yours.'
'Brenda,' I interrupted her. 'What're you trying to say.' Curiousity was burning inside of me. Somehow I knew that this sign was important, I couldn't say why but I just had this feeling.
Brenda finally looked at us. 'These signs are all over the city. All of them say the same thing. Exactly the same thing.'
I looked at Thomas. He looked completely perplexed.
'How...how is this even possible? I mean, it looks like it's been there for a while.' He had run out of words.

I took a deep breath and took a look at the sign again. I squinted my eyes, trying to figure out why it felt so important. Suddenly I gasped as a sharp pain went through my skull. With both hands I covered my ears and fell on my knees. A scream escaped my mouth. It couldn't happen, not here not now. I bit my lip, already tasting blood. I had to control it. I just had to!

'Lisa?' Thomas yelled and ran over to me.
'What's happening?' Brenda yelled.
I screamed once again, trying to push the lingering pain back to the corner of my mind. But it didn't help, it just wouldn't go.
'Lisa! You have to breathe. Breathe!' Thomas yelled, his voice echoed through my head, the words didn't make sense. No of it made sense anymore. I screamed again.

"He is the real leader..."
"No he isn't he can't be."
"We have to break Wicked! He is our key!"
"He is Wicked's favorite puppet! I will not risk my, and more importantly my sisters life for him!"
"We have no other choice. If you don't go in we have to blow the whole facility up."
"You're a monster."
"It's all for the greater good."
"Fine, I'll go. But you have to promise me one thing."
"Anything."
"My sister stays out of this."
"You know we can't leave her here. She has to go with you. Or else Wicked will never trust you."
"Alright, but whatever happens. You safe her first. You hear me! You safe Dawn first and after her you can go get your stupid leader!"
"I promise, Lisa, I promise."

I gasped, opening my eyes and sitting up. The concerned faces of Thomas and Brenda stared at me. 'What happened?' I whispered, blinking against the bright sunlight.
They shared a glare. Panic was building up in my chest. I hadn't attacked them, had I?
'You started screaming...' Thomas started. I gave him a worried glare. 'Then you fell on your knees.' He looked at Brenda once again.
'What!' I yelled.
'We tried to talk to you, calm you down but it was like you were in a trance or something. All you did was sitting here, your hands pressed against your ears whispering a name,' Brenda finished.
'What name?' I said, already having an idea of what they would say.
Thomas looked at me, took a deep breath and then answered. 'My name, you said my name.'

|||

It seems like Lisa just got a memory back! Though it was very vague and she doesn't seem to fully realise it was an actual memory. What do you think it meant? Let me know in the comments!

Thank you all so much for your support, it means the world to me, truly.

xXx

UYM