| Chapter 37, Awaiting the storm

|When the sky turns gray, and everything is screaming...

|Song: Bleeding out, Imagine Dragons

|||

Lisa's P.O.V.

There was no other option than to go down the mountain path and walk towards the desert. Maybe there was some underground complex we couldn't see yet, maybe they would pick us up with a helicopter, maybe maybe maybe. The never ending questions were driving me insane.
Carefully the group started making its way down the small paths towards the desert before us.
'Hey guys, look!' A Glader pointed into the distance.
I squinted my eyes against the wind and dust flying around and then saw it. 'It's those shucking girls!'
He was right. Group B had reached the mountain slope and were now heading towards the empty desert.
'Do you think Tommy is with them?' Newt asked.
Minho shrugged. 'We'll find out soon enough.' He started walking again but fastened the pace.

During our walk down I kept on gazing at the sky. The clouds were growing, gaining a dark color and the wind was getting stronger with every passing minute. A storm was coming and if we went down into that desert there would be no shelter for when the thunder came, but it also wasn't an option to stay here. We had to reach the safe haven, whatever it was.
And so we kept on making our way down. It took maybe three hours for us to reach the desert.
'Let's start running guys. Maybe there is something worth seeing,' Minho yelled above the blowing wind. And so we did.
It had been a while since I had run a good and steady pace. And since we were running straight into the wind, my muscles were soon protesting.
We ran for another hour or so when we noticed something. Group B was standing still, forming a circle around...something.
I felt a spark of hope in my chest but pushed it away immediately. I didn't want to be disappointed again.

When we were only a few miles away we stopped running and caught our breath while walking the remaining distance.
I felt the tension in the air rising.
Boys were grasping for their weapons.
I slowly took my gun from my belt. They were not surprising us again. My eyes searched for any sign of Thomas but I saw only girls. My heart dropped. They hadn't really killed him, right?

Finally we reached the group and Minho gave us the sign to stand still and raise our weapons. For a couple of seconds it was completely silence. Two groups facing each other, weapons raised.
'Where's Thomas?' Minho yelled.
A brown haired girl with dark skin, who seemed to be in charge, shrugged. 'He left our camp, together with Teresa.'
Minho slowly lowered his knife. 'What do you mean left? You let him go with that shucking-'
'Minho,' Dawn placed her hand on his shoulder and stepped forward. 'Tell us what happened.'
The girl seemed to consider her options but finally sighed and mentioned for us to look at something behind her.
Curious we made our way through the group of girls and finally saw what they had been standing around. In the ground was a stick standing with an orange flag on it. Written in black letters on the flag stood the following words:

"The Safe Haven"

I snorted and put my gun away. 'This is ridiculous!' I yelled, pointing at the stupid orange flag. 'We did all this trouble, fought all those monsters just for...for...a shucking flag!'
Minho walked towards me and put his hands on my shoulder. 'Hey calm down. I'm sure they have a-'
'A what? Another shucking lie?' I yelled in his face.
He released my shoulders and took a step back, looking slightly startled.
I sighed and threw my hair over my shoulder. 'I'm sorry,' I mumbled. 'I'm just mad.'
Minho nodded, seeming to have taken my apologie. 'Let's just hear what those girls have to say. Then we can discuss what to do next,' he said and I nodded.