| Chapter 26, A friend

|And you're taught to cry into your pillow, but I survived

|Song: Alive, Sia

|||

Lisa's P.O.V.

'We need to go.' Brenda said. 'There's no way they didn't hear his screaming. Come on.'

I took a deep breath and wiped my tears away. Thomas gave me a glare but I smiled at him. We couldn't get distracted with any more worries. 'Brenda is right. We should go,' I whispered.

Thomas nodded, took my hand and walked after Brenda.
I glared at the brown haired girl. She seemed totally unaffected by the fact my eyes just turned red and I killed someone. There was something strange about this girl. She was too brave, too careless and...fake. She was trying so hard to get on our good side. I frowned while staring at her, feeling suddenly uncomfortable.

What was it...

Thomas his voice took me out of my thoughts. 'Brenda, please no more of this,' he said.
'What do you mean?' She asked.
'I want daylight. I don't care what it takes. I want daylight. Now.'

I was glad Thomas finally said what I'd been thinking all along. Even Brenda didn't argue. She guided us through several twists and turns and soon enough we found a long iron ladder leading up towards the city.
The disgusting noises of the Cranks lingered in the distance. Giggles, shouts and coughing. A shiver went down my spine, I was totally ready to get out of here.
Moving the round manhole cover took a lot of pushing but finally it moved and we climbed out of the Underneath.
The sky had the dark gray colour of twilight. We were surrounded by huge tall buildings in every direction. Broken windows, garbage all over the street, several dead bodies lying around and a smell of dust and rot.
I coughed a few times but the smell had already settled in my lungs.

Brenda slowly turned in a cicle. 'Okay the mountains should be down that street.' She pointed down the street but I wasn't so sure. The tall buildings covered our view completely.

'You sure?' Thomas asked.
'Yeah, come on.'

And we set off down the long and lonely street. I kept on scanning my surroundings, hoping to see any sign of the Gladers being here. And every now and then I threw a quick glare over my shoulder. Scared the Cranks had followed us out here. But luckily that wasn't the case.

We travelled until dark, avoiding contact with anyone, not that there were many living people to have contact with.
An occasional scream sounded in the distance or sounds of things crashing inside the buildings. Slowly, though, I was getting used to it.
Just before the sun disappeared behind the tall buildings we turned around a corner and came into full view of the city's edge.
I breathed with relief, we made it. Then I frowned and looked around. Where was the others? My gaze turned to the mountains. They were everything but beautiful. No snowcapped beauties, just dry and rocky.

I sighed.
Nothing here would ever be easy.

'Should we go the rest of the way?' Thomas asked.
Brenda was busy looking for a place to hide. 'Tempting, but no,' she answered. 'First off, it's too dangerous running around here at night. Second, even if we made it, there'd be no place to cover ourselves unless we run all the way into the mountains. Which I don't think we can do.'
I put my hands on my hips. 'Then what do you suggest we do?' I asked, annoyence sounded through my voice. She could at least come up with a plan if everything we thought of was so stupid.

'Follow me,' Brenda said with a roll of her eyes.
Thomas and I shared a glare. As much as we both wanted to find the others, we also knew Brenda was right. It wasn't safe here.
So I sighed and followed her, with Thomas right behind me.