| Chapter 36, The last few miles

|I'll bleed out for you

|Song: Bleeding Out, Imagine Dragons

|||

Lisa's P.O.V.

The worst heat of the day was over when Minho woke me up. The others were already awake.
I looked around and saw Newt and Dawn sitting together on a rock a bit away from the group.
Walking towards them I realised Dawn was asleep with her head on Newt his shoulder.
Newt looked up, hearing me approaching.
I gave him a small smile and nodded back at the others, telling him without words that we were leaving.
He nodded and gently shook Dawn awake.
Turning around I walked back to the others. I walked towards where I slept and took my small backpack from the ground and put it around my shoulders.

After half an hour everyone was ready and we were walking again.
It was starting to get dark when Frypan gave a yell. 'Guys? Has anyone seen Aris?'
I frowned and turned around to see what was happening.
Frypan was walking through the group, pushing people aside but didn't seem to find the boy.
'Who had watch last night?' Jorge asked.
'I-I had,' Newt stammered, a confused look on his face.
'Did you see him walk away? Go anywhere?'
Newt shook his head and shared a quick glare with Dawn. She shook her head as well.
'Where'd he go? He can't just have disappeared?' I asked.
Minho groaned beside me. 'We can't have this right now. Jorge, Frypan, Leon you three go back and look at where we camped last night. The rest of us walk on. Be fast, meet us back at midnight.'
Jorge, Frypan and Leon left without arguing, which kinda surprised me since Jorge was used to taking charge. 'Everyone keep your eyes open!' Minho instructed as we walked on.

No one saw any sign of Aris as we made our way through the mountains. I heard Minho curse under his breath a few times, saying things like; 'Stupid newbie' 'Shucking girls'. I actually found it kinda of cute.
By the time midnight had arrived Jorge, Frypan and Leon had returned. There was no trace of him.
So we had no other choice than to just move along.
As we walked on Minho came walking next to me. 'I'm sick of all this,' he suddenly said.
I gave him a glare. 'What do you mean?' I asked.
He shrugged. 'Well, you know. All the lies, the shucking mysteries. They better have a good explanation for all this.'
I immediately knew who he was talking about, and he was right. Wicked had done so many things to us, had caused us so much pain, and never even considered to talk about it with us. I took a deep breath. 'You're right, they-' I was cut off by a high-pitched scream back in the group.
Immediately my instincts kicked in. I turned around, took my gun and ran towards the noice.
Minho yelled my name and came after me.
Once I reached the noise, I raised my gun and took in the sight before me in, calculating my options.
Two Cranks had come out of a cave in the mountains. One of them was holding a Glader down against the ground, arm on his throat. The other was caught up in a fight with Jorge.
I raised my gun and shot the Crank on top of the Glader in his head. The monster shrieked and dropped, convulsing, backwards on the ground.
The poor Glader jumped up, I didn't know his name but answered his thankful smile anyway. It felt good to slowly win back their trust.

Meanwhile Jorge had killed the other Crank as well. I threw a quick look at them. They weren't fully gone, but gone enough to be seriously scary. One was missing an arm and the other had no hair only sunburns covering his whole head and face. Quickly I looked away before my last meal would come out. I put my gun back in my belt and walked towards the Glader.
'You okay?' I asked, inspecting him for injures.
He nodded, his eyes glued to the dead crank.
'Don't look,' I instructed.
Surprisingly he listened and looked back at me.
I gave him a slight smile. 'Other than that cut on your cheek your fine. Keep it clean and I expect it won't be a problem.'
He nodded again and I frowned. I put my hand on his shoulder. 'You sure you're okay?'
He took a shaky breath. 'I will be,' he finally answered.
I nodded, gave him an understanding smile and walked back to Minho. Who had a weird smirk on his face as he watched me coming closer. 'What are you smirking at?' I said with a smile forming on my face.
He crossed his arms over his chest. 'Oh, nothing, just the fact that you make a better mother than a killer. They should change your tattoo.'
I laughed, while subconsciously rubbing my neck. Once, the tattoo had felt like a burden, now it was something to prove Wicked wrong. Minho was right, I wasn't a killer and I shouldn't be afraid of myself.
'Let's go guys before more Cranks show up!' Jorge yelled and we started moving.

I saw Brenda looking at me and shot her a smile. She smiled back before making her way over to me. 'Hey Lisa, can I ask you something?'
I nodded. 'Sure.'
Brenda looked uncomfortable but I didn't break the silence. 'So ehm,' he said after a while. 'Do you know what Thomas and Teresa are to each other?' I raised my eyebrows before laughing. Brenda gave me an angry, yet amused glare.
'I'm sorry,' I grinned. 'It's just...' I put my hands in my pocket. 'I've been expecting this question ever since Thomas first said her name.'
Brenda grinned sheepishly.
'It's okay though,' I added while staring at Dawn who was talking to Frypan about something I couldn't hear. Then I took a breath and looked back at Brenda. 'I don't think that even Thomas and Teresa know what they are. They have been friends ever since she woke up in the Glade and he trusts her. But I think that recent events have changed that,' I said as I felt anger boiling inside of me at the mere thought of the black haired girl. Brenda just nodded, staring in the distance.
I smiled. 'But don't worry, you're a lot prettier. You've got nothing to worry about.'
She laughed and I joined. It felt good.

The sun began to rise again, not that we could see much of it. Thick gray clouds were gathering in the sky. And the wind was getting harder.
'Let's hope it won't start storming again,' Dawn said.
I had left Brenda, who was now talking to Newt, and walked next to my little sister. Who gazed worried at the sky. I nodded. 'Let's hope.'
Soon the mountains started getting lower and the narrow path we were following got wider. We were almost on the other side of the mountains. We kept walking with a fast pace until Dawn's runner watch said it was the middle of the day.
Minho gave us a quick pause to eat and drink. We were almost out of supplies, so we had to reach that safe haven soon or else we would starve in this desert.
I still wasn't sure what to expect from the so called safe haven. And I also didn't know if Wicked really had found a cure. If I was completely honest I didn't believe a single word they said. They had lied about everything so far. So why now believe them? But my thoughts were cut short when we reached the end of the mountain path.

Before us strerched a sea of sand. A desert, just like before we entered the city, but this time there was no end in sight. There was nothing to be seen. Not a building, a helicopter or any sort of safe haven. Only more desert. From the front of the group I could hear Minho's angry scream.
They did it again, Wicked lied to us again.