| Chapter 31, Rescued

|I've been waiting for you, holding my breath. We've got everything to lose

|Song: Where the lonely ones roam, Digital Daggers

|||

Lisa's P.O.V.

I awoke to darkness, my head aching like crazy, as if thousand little nails were slowly being pushed into my skull. Then it hit me. I was alive! I shivered as the memories came rushing back to me. I tried to lift my hands, wanting to push my hair out of of my face. Then I noticed my hands wouldn't move. I squinted my eyes, trying to see something, but I was surrounded by complete darkness. I tried escaping again, kicking my legs but they were bound too. The movement send another wave of pain crashing through my head. I groaned softly, wondering what had happened after I passed out.

'Brenda?' a voice whispered. 'Lisa?' It was Thomas.
I tried to talk back but then noticed there was something sticky pressing against my lips. Tape.

Suddenly a light came on. Bright and stabbing. I closed my eyes in a reflex.
'Wakey, wakey,' a husky voice said. 'Want some more of that fire juice?'
Slowly I opened my eyes again. The light was still way too bright but at least I could see something now. I was in a wooden chair, arms and legs tight up with grey tape, just like there was tape on my mouth. The room I was in was small, with concrete walls and here and there a few chairs. My eyes widened when I saw Thomas sitting in the same position across the room, and Brenda next to me. Three people stood before Thomas. Blondie, the tall ugly man and the woman.

'Why didn't you just whack me out in the alley?' Thomas asked. I couldn't see his face but he clearly had no tape on his mouth.
'Whack you?' Blondie responded, his voice sending shivers down my spine as I remember how he'd tried to dance with me. Then my cheeks flushed as I remembered screaming Minho's name. I didn't need him to safe me! But then why had he been the first person I thought of?
'We don't want you dead,' the woman said, taking my attention back to their conversation. 'That would spoil the meat. We like to eat our victims while they're still breathing. Eat as much as we can before they bleed to death. You wouldn't believe how juicy and sweet that tastes.'
Then they starting giggling, just like the Cranks in the tunnels. Brenda and I shared a glare. These guys were starting to get on my nerves. I tried moving again, earning a glare from Blondie. I decided to wait for a better chance.
'She's kidding,' Blondie said, looking back at Thomas. 'We've only eaten humans when it's gotten completely desperate. Man meat tastes like pig crap.' Blondie smiled for the first time since I'd seen him and it freaked me out. 'Joking again. We're not quite that Cranked-out yet. But I do bet people don't taste very good.' The other two nodded.

Suddenly Brenda came to life and started to shift and wiggle in her chair, mouning through the tape on her mouth. Her eyes lit with fire. I shot her a warning glare but she didn't look at me.
Blondie pointed his pistol at her. 'Shut up or I'll splat your brain on the wall.' She stopped immediately. Blondie dropped his gun. 'Better. Good God, we should've killed her when she started screaming up there. And biting.' He looked at his forearm and I felt proud of Brenda when I saw the long arc of a welt shone red.
'Just like that one,' he said, waving his gun in my direction. Thomas turned his head to look at me. I gave him an apologetic glare. If I had acted sooner, and not so childish, we might not be in this situation right now. 'She started screaming some kind of name and ran away from me. Little bitch kicked me in the stomach.' I frowned, not remember doing such a thing, but it still made me feel satisfied.

'They're with him,' the woman said. 'We can't kill them yet.'
Blondie seemed to disagree but he pulled a chair from the corner of the room, sat down and made no more arguments.
'Okay,' he said. 'We've got us quite a lot to talk about. I'm not going through the normal bullcrap with you, either. If you mess around or refuse to answer or whatever, I'm gonna shoot you in the leg. Then the other one. Third time, the bullet goes into your girlfiend's face. I'm thinking somewhere right between the eyes. Fourth time your other pretty lady will have a shower of blood. And I don't think I have to explain what happens the fifth time you piss me off.'

Thomas nodded, there was not much else he could do anyway.
'First question,' blondie said. 'Who are you and why is your name on signs all over this piece of a crap city.'
'My name is Thomas.' Wrong answer, Blondie scrunched up his face in anger. 'You already knew that,' Thomas hurried along. 'Well, how I got here is a really weird story and I doubt you'll believe it. But I swear I'm telling the truth.' He wasn't going to tell about Wicked was he?

'Didn't you come on a Berg like the rest of us?' The woman asked.
'Berg?' Thomas asked and shook his head. 'No we came from Wicked.'

'Hold it hold it hold it,' Blondie said, holding up a hand. 'You came from Wicked? I'd shoot you right now but there's no way you just made that up.'
When Thomas answered there was confusion in his voice. 'Why?'
'You'd be stupid to try getting away with an obvious lie like that. You came from Wicked?'
'Yeah. Why is that so hard to believe?' Thomas asked, still not understanding it.
'Do you have any idea how secure Wicked is? You don't just escape from that place,' Blondie
Thomas shrugged. 'We didn't escape, they let us go. Knowing we'd come for...' He cut himself off. Telling them about the cure wouldn't be smart. Lucky for us, Thomas was smart. 'To come back for a friend we left behind, or else they would kill him.'
Blondie didn't react for a second, just sat there staring at Thomas. Finally he said. 'I was a lawyer. Back before the flares and this disease ruined everything. I know when someone's lying. I was very, very good at my job.' 'Then you know I'm not-'
'Yeah, I know. I wanna hear the whole thing. Start talking.'

Thomas did, he started talking. He told about the Maze, the escape, how Dawn, Teresa and I got seperated. Being given the mission to cross the Scorch, although he left out the part about the cure and kept on telling the lie of our friend being held captive in something called the safe haven. He also made it sound like Brenda had been with us from the beginning and he showed his concern about the other Gladers. Asking them if they had seen them. The answer, sadly, was no. He also asked if they had seen a group of girls, but the Cranks hadn't seen them either.
When he finished, ending with us meeting the Cranks in the alley, he took a deep breath and relaxed a bit in his chair.

All I could do was stare at Blondie, wondering if he believed it. 'Can you please take this tape off me now?' Thomas asked, which was dumb because they wouldn't just do it like that.
And indeed one the Cranks took his knife. 'What do you think?' He asked Blondie.
'Sure, why not,' this one answered. And I couldn't believe my ears. The man leaned over, knife outstretched when a commotion broke out above. Hard thumps on the ceiling, followed by a couple of screams. Then it sounded like a hundred people running. Frantic footsteps and more screams. I frowned, what was going on?
'Another group must've found us,' Blondie said, his face suddenly pale. He stood, mentioned for the other two to follow him. A few seconds later they were gone, vanishing up a set of stairs. A door opened and closed. The chaos above continued.

This was my chance. I started moving, trying to loose my hands, but the tape wouldn't move one bit.
'What if a bunch of full-gone Cranks are up there?' Thomas asked.
Brenda mumbled something through the tape, making me roll my eyes. Suddenly the sounds of fighting and rumbling stopped.
I looked up at the ceiling. Nothing for several seconds. Then a set of footsteps, the door at the top of stairs opened. I held my breath.
Footsteps followed, hard and heavy, running down. Cold panic waved through my stomach as I waited to see who came down.

Finally someone stepped into the light. Dirty, and bloody, burn marks on his face. Knives in both hands. Minho.

'You guys look comfy,' he said.

|||

Guys I'm in Canada!!!!

I have been here for like three days but that doesn't matter. I'm here on a vacation and it's beautiful here! So much sun, and trees and Tim Hortons...

I really really love it here, except for the fact that I have very painful sunburns all over my body but other than that I'm totally fine!

So, you all enjoy your holiday and please let me know your opinions on this chapter or this book. It would mean a lot to me!

Much love
xXx
UYM