| Chapter 7, The tunnel

|When everything you love is leaving, you hold on to what you believe in.

|Song: Not gonna die, Skillet

|||

Dawn's P.O.V.

Darkness swallowed me as I jumped through the Flat Trans. I shivered as I fell on the ground, my whole body aching. I forced myself up and turned around. The Flat Trans hung in the air, silent and motionless.

'Come on,' I heard Lisa mutter next to me. I clentched my hands, staring at the silver screen before me.
Suddenly it started moving, like a wrinkle from a stone being thrown into the water. It started in the middle and spread to the sides until the whole screen flashed with a bright light and disappeared with a clicking sound.
I took a shaky breath and turned to Lisa. Her eyes were wide as she stared to the place where the Flat Trans used to be.

'I can't believe he did that,' she mumbled.
I was at loss for words and could only stare. It was then I felt all the energy leave my body and sank down on the ground. Lisa sat down next to me, worry written all over her face.
'I'm fine,' I mumbled.
'Fine, like klunk you are,' she answered. 'If only we had food. That would give you some energy.'
I shook my head. 'Let's find the others first.'
Lisa stared at me for a couple of seconds, seeming in doubt with herself but finally she nodded. 'But first we have to stay here for a while, catch our breath.'
'Lisa, he's not coming,' I whispered.
She nodded. 'I know.'

I took a shaky breath and leaned back against the wall. Slowly I started taking in our surroundings. We were in what appeared to be some sort of tunnel and it was dark, very dark. Here we had some light, though I had honestly now idea where it was coming from. But further inside the tunnel it looked completely dark.

'Do we really have to go in there?' Lisa asked, sounding tired.
'If we want to find the others...' I said even though I had no desire to walk into a dark tunnel without even a flashlight.
We were silent for a couple of seconds and I closed my eyes. My head was throbbing, my hands shaking and my legs felt bruised. Actually my whole body was aching. The serum they used to return my memories had a horrible effect on my body. And Lisa was right, if I didn't eat soon I wouldn't have much energy left to find the others.

'What were they doing to you anyway?' Lisa asked.
I didn't answer right away. Should I tell her? About my memories? Right now some were still clouded, vague and even some words made no sense at all. I remembered only bits and pieces. And until I was certain I knew everything maybe I should keep my mouth shut.
'Probably running some kind of shuck test,' I answered.
She kept staring at me for a while but didn't ask more. I rubbed my eyes, feeling the headache worsen. It felt like getting too much information at once, as if your head is going to explode from all the knowledge.

'I'm sorry,' Lisa suddenly whispered. It was the sudden pain in her voice that made me turn to her.
Her eyes were turned to ground and suddenly I knew what she was talking about.
I put my hand on her shoulder. 'It wasn't your fault.'
She didn't look up at me. 'But it was, I could've fought it but...' she cut herself off, at loss for words.
I had no idea what to say, or how to comfort her. And so we sat in silence, my arm around her shoulder. Until finally she had calmed down a bit.

'We should get moving,' I said.
Lisa looked at me. 'You sure?'

I gave her a small smile. 'Well, we can't stay here.' Slowly I stood up, seeking support by the wall.
She stood up as well, a worried look in her eyes. I threw her a tired glare.
'Honestly, I'm fine.'
A deep sigh left her mouth and she threw my arm around her shoulder. 'Come on.'