| Chapter 13, Dust and sand

|I've fallen in love with a man on the run

|Song: Devil's Backbone, The Civil Wars

|||

Lisa's P.O.V.

I groaned and opened my eyes. My shoulder was hurting from lying in a bad position.
Slowly I sat up and tried to move my shoulder while rubbing it.
I looked around and noticed the others were still asleep. Dawn and Newt were in each others arms, making a smile appear on my face.
Then I saw Minho standing with his face towards the city. His hand on a knife. Wide awake.
I smirked, our guardian angel.
'Hey, nobel leader,' I said, making him turn around and look at me. 'Shouldn't you get some sleep as well?'
'And who would guard you guys?' He asked with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.
'I'm awake now,' I answered, making him shake his head.
'Don't think those shanks would be comfortable with a killing machine of Wicked guarding them.'
My heart shrunk and I looked away. It shouldn't come as a surprise of course, but still it hurt me that even Minho, who knew me better than most people here, thought I was really one of Wicked's puppets.
Clearly Minho noticed my sudden pain because the mocking look disappeared from his face.
'You're no different,' I mumbled.
Minho opened his mouth to respond but I didn't let him.
'Don't think I didn't notice how they all walk around me. How no one walks beside me and how they glare at me when they think I'm not looking. I know they're scared of me, and honestly I'm not surprised. But I thought that maybe you would understand.'
I sighed, not knowing why I was even telling him this.

I heard Minho exhale and walk closer to me. His hand touched my shoulder and squeezed it lightly. 'Lisa...'
'I don't want your pity,' I snapped, looking him straight in the eye.
'Alright, then you don't have it,' he said, taking his hand off my shoulder and sitting down next to me. He rubbed his eyes. 'Listen, I'm not really great with this..."pep talking".'
I stared at him, curiousity pushing away my anger.
'But maybe I could-,' he sighed.
'Punch me?' I suggested, slowly a small smile appearing on my face.
He snorted, shaking his head. 'I was just going to say whenever you feel an urge to kill coming up, look at something that makes you wanna live.'

Automatically I turned around and looked at Dawn. My sister. It didn't feel weird to say. This was just how it was suppose to be.
Then I looked back at Minho. 'Thanks.'
He smiled and I thought this was one of the rare times that he gave me a honest smile.
'So let's get these slint-heads up, we have to get moving,' he yelled, making me jump and then shake my head. I would never ever understand this guy.

It wasn't hard to wake everyone up. The rising sun raged its heat down on the scorched landscape.
The smell of body odor hung over us like a stinky mist and I couldn't help it but miss the W.I.C.K.E.D building with its showers.
There wasn't much talking going on when we prepared for the journey. Everyone was just trying to make themselves ready for the long journey through the sand.
'Let's go,' Minho finally said once everybody was ready.

Then we were off.

Across the dry and dusty land we walked. Some held sheets and scarfs above their head. But I had nothing and since everyone was afraid of me, no one was going to share.
I couldn't help but notice how Newt held Dawn's hand. I rolled my eyes when she stumbled and fell and when Newt grinned and helped her stand back up.
I sighed, wrapped my arms around my waist and walked on by myself. I couldn't help it but to feel ignored.
Everyone was scared of me and it seemed Dawn was now as well because she hadn't shared a word with me since she told me that we were sisters.
I rubbed the sand out of my eyes and kept on following the others.
If I wanted to survive and get through this I had to stop pouting and feeling sorry for myself. So that was what I was going to do.

Walking.
Breaks for food and water.
Walking.
Heat, like a dry ocean through which we had to swim.
The wind, blowing stronger now, bringing more dust and grit than relief from the heat.

I kept on coughing and rubbing chunks of sand out of my eyes.
I really wanted water but our supplies had reached dangerously low levels.
If there wasn't any fresh water in the city when we reached it...
I sighed and shook that thought away. We were going to make it. We had to.

No one talked.
All I could do was put one foot in front of the other, over and over and over, staring lifelessly at the nearing city. It was as if the buildings were alive, growing right before my eyes as we got closer.
Soon I could see what had to be windows glimmering in the sunlight. Some seemed to be broken. From here the streets seemed empty. No fires burning during the day.

Walking.
Breaks.
Heat.

When nightfall finally came, the sun disappearing below the far western horizon at a maddeningly slow pace, the wind picked up even more and this time it brought the slightest chill. I enjoyed it, grateful for any relief from the heat.
By midnight however, when Minho finally called on us to stop and get more sleep, the wind had become even stronger. It blew, howling like a wolf at the moon.
Soon after we stopped. I lay down and stared at Minho, who sat with his face towards the city. When was the last time he slept? Did he really do that to protect us? He could just ask someone else to keep guard, but he didn't. Probably too proud.

A smile appeared on my face and suddenly a wave of respect for our leader overwhelmed me. He may be stupid at times, but he knew what he was doing and how to get it done.
I didn't know why but suddenly I felt something I hadn't felt before when I looked at him. It was more than just respect.
And while biting my lip, trying to figure it out, I noticed that I genuinly liked him.
I liked the way he acted. So nonchalantly and sarcastisc only to protect himself from getting hurt and yet he he never failed to protect others.

Then I frowned.
He reminded me of someone.
He reminded me of well...me.
And suddenly I liked him even more.

|||

Another update!
Hope you guys enjoy it!

So things are starting to grow again between Minho and Lisa. Will they become a couple or stay friends? Share your thoughts!

I hope Minho stayed in character this chapter and didn't become too much...OC. Let me know if I could change anything to make it better!

Please leave a vote or comment, it means a lot to me.

See you all sunday!

xxx

-Me