Chapter 2

A Q U A R I U S

The Storm lasted for hours

The Storm lasted for hours. I was constantly pushed around, cut and bruised up. As more clutter was caught up in the storm it ended up hitting me somehow. As a merman I had advanced healing, so I was not too worried.

I could not remember much. It was all bubbly and hazy, as well as traumatizing. I have heard stories of horrible things happening to mermaids and merman caught in storms. Fishhooks getting caught in eyes, tails being cut in half from human clutter, getting smashed to death by shipwreck parts.

It is horrible, and this experience shown me how true that was.

The last thing I had remembered was hitting something hard and passing out.

When I started to come to it, I was awoken by a burning sensation in my throat, which was odd to me. It was something I have never felt before.

I coughed and heard the squawk of a bird. At that, I sat up quickly and opened my eyes.

I gasped in pure fright. I was surround by...? Trees? I have only seen a tree in storybooks read to by elders to guppies as I was growing up.

I looked down at myself and saw I had shifted to my human form, most likely from being out of the water. I had a big gash on my right side that throbbed painfully.

I tried running a finger through my hair but could not get through the knots there.

I felt myself start to hyperventilate. I was alone, hurt, and scared. I tried to stand up but fell back down when my legs could not support themselves.

I gasped when I heard rustling coming from the trees in front of me. My heart pounded in my chest when I saw some hairy creature creep out from the bushes.

It made a terrifying noise bringing water to my eyes. I was shocked. Water has never left my eyes before!

Was this a human thing?

With the water coming out of my eyes I could not see and just decided to back up in fear, letting out a shriek when I put pressure on my wound.

The creature cocked its head at me and backed up slowly.

Relief filled me when it started to leave. Land creatures looked terrifying. I did not want to die before meeting my other half!

I looked around me, hoping to see a body of water. There were trees everywhere, some knocked down from the storm and others standing vertically.

I let the water run down my cheeks at the thought of being stuck here, unable to move.

"Hello?"

A deep voice called from the trees, too far away to be seen. I backed away more, I feared humans. I have never met or seen one expect in books, this was terrifying!

"Is someone out here?"

The voice called again, getting closer. I whimpered in fear.

Should I say something? Maybe he could help me?

I heard the crunching of leaves and sticks, and then a man walked out to the little area I was in. He was tall. His skin was tanned, and he had dark short hair. His eyes were green, and he seemed to look nice.

"Are you okay?! How did you get here?!"

He asked rushing towards me. I cleared my burning throat, simply happy to know English so I could communicate with him.

"The storm...?"

I rasped out, confused myself on how I got here. He nodded and gave me a sympathetic look.

"Here."

He said handing me his cloth. I did not know what humans called the rags they wore to cover their bodies, but I took I happily, not wanting to feel more vulnerable.

I wore it like he did, and it came to my new legs. I sighed happily.

"Can you walk?"

He asked me reaching a hand out towards me, making me flinch a bit.

I shook my head no and he nodded.

"Here, let me help you. I live on this property with a bunch of other people. It is like a small town. If you want, I can take you back, we have a doctor who can look at your leg and then we can contact your family."

He said. I did not understand a lot of those words, but I did know what a doctor was, and he said they could fix my leg, so I agreed.

"Please..."

I rasped out again, throat burning. He smiled and walked towards me. He reached down and picked me up, holding my lower back and supporting my legs.

"My names Kyle, by the way."

He said smiling at me, I smiled halfheartedly and introduced myself back.

"Aquarius."

EDITED 11/11/20