Chapter 11

A Q U A R I U S

The whole night I could not get my mind off my mate. My chest ached from the distance I had put between us. It took everything in me not to crawl out of the water and drag myself to his house.

I distracted myself with finding the ingredients to the anti-venom. It took all day after I swam away from my mate and Kyle. I only had to swim out to deep sea twice to get items, but mostly stayed close to land.

When I was done, I put all the ingredients into a kelp pouch I quickly made. I spent the rest of my time collecting pretty shells for my mate, hoping to make a necklace out of them when I got on land again.

I was kind of relieved to know he was not a human. By law I could show and tell him what I was now, I did not have to wait for our mating. I was excited to bring him out to sea and show him all the amazing life in deep waters.

Throughout the whole day I constantly visited the surface to check it the sun was setting. I was too excited to see my mate, I had missed him terribly. I never wanted to separate from him again!

When the sun moved the slightest bit down, I swam closer to shore. I perched myself up on a rock and let the warm sun start to dry me off.

Soon the relaxing sound of waves hitting shore and the unfamiliar but nice feeling of heat made me drift off to sleep...

*
*
*

I woke up to the sound of voices, I yawned and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. I crawled down my rock letting my tail sit in the water incase these were humans.

Up on the top of the hill stood Kyle and.... my mate! A smile broke out on my face at the sight of him. I watched as him and Kyle walked towards each other before.... embracing? My smile was quickly replaced by a scowl.

I should be the only one holding him...

Jealous thoughts filled my head as I watched them for a few before they pulled apart. I never wanted to see him touch someone else again! Those arms are to only hold me!

I watched as they made their way towards the shoreline. Kyle walked right up to the water with my mate trailing behind.

I went to go catch my mate's attention but stopped when a thought suddenly popped up in my head.

What if he does not like this part of me?

What if he thinks it is disgusting or strange?

What if he hates fish?!

I went to crouch down before they could see me, but sadly I was spotted.

"See I told you he would come!"

Kyle said to my mate who was already jumping up and running towards me. As he got closer, he saw my apprehension and slowed down. His smile was replaced with a frown.

"What's wrong? Aren't you happy to see me?"

He asked looking hurt. I quickly nodded yes to let him know I was happy; I did want to see him!

My mate stepped forward.

"Then what's wrong? Come out so I can see you!"

He said stepping closer. As he stepped closer, I crawled back more into the water. He frowned and his brows furred. I watched as his sadness turned to anger and his blue eyes turn a fiery red.

A growl ripped from his chest.

He threw his hands down.

"WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH ME HUH? WHY DON'T YOU WANT ME? WHY DON'T YOU WANT TO BE MY MATE?"

He yelled rubbing his hands down his face. He threw his hands down and looked at me sadly.

"I know you don't know what a mate is, but don't you feel a connection towards me? Anything?!"

He said frustrated. I nodded.

"I want to be with you, I'm scared you not want to be with me..."

I said letting him know how I felt the best I could. His brows furred once more.

"Why would I not want to be with you, wasn't yesterday enough to show you how I felt?"

He said. I shook my head

"Because how I look."

I said, he gave me a look like I was dumb.

"I've already seen how you look; I love it in matter of fact! I saw you all of you yesterday, remember?"

He said like he was trying to explain this to a toddler. I shook my head no, trying to let him know that is not what I meant.

"No, how I look now."

He just looked puzzled.

"Like right now? Did something change since when I last saw you?"

He asked me. I nodded my head yes, still scared my true self would scare him away. He just frowned at me.

"Nothing is going to change how I feel about you Aquarius, especially how you look. You are my mate, and you may not understand it now, but we were meant to be together, forever. Your mine as I am yours. "

He said stepping now directly in front of the rock, water up to his chest now. Water clouded my eyes at his words. I was so happy my mate wanted me as much as I wanted him.

"Can you come out now?"

He asked me. I slowly nodded and got off the rock sinking into the water. I swam to the bottom and watched as my mate moved around to find me. I giggled and swam up to his legs. In a flash I pulled him down.

He yelped keeping his eyes closed. Before I knew it, I took a chance and leaned forward knowing this was the last time he would know me without knowing what I truly was.

When my lips met his it was like a hundred eels electrocuting me. Everything felt warm and fuzzy and that ache in my chest quickly went away. It was like I could feel our souls moving towards each other.

I felt his warm hands pull me closer and trail down my back. When his hand met where my tail met skin he paused in confusion. I watched as he slowly opened his eyes seeming shocked, he could see clearly.

A mermaid/merman kiss granted any non-ocean dweller the gift of clear sight and the power to hold your breath for a longer period.

I watched as he slowly took me in. I smiled at him, that warmth still circulating through my chest. He smiled back but as he slowly began looking down anxiety filled me.

Would he accept me?

When he looked down at my tail I watched as he gasped in shock. He shot backwards and choked on water.

Sadly, I watched as he swam to the surface, taking my heart with him.

EDITED 11/12/20