Fourteen

the plan was simple, if dan was being watched by his mum, then he is going to act miserable, not on stage of course but outside of it. let them feel proud of what they're doing.

dan catches a taxi to the theatre that morning and gets in early, punching the code into the door and closing it behind him. he goes upstairs to his room and gets ready for the day, as he knows its going to be a long one. today is the show again but for promotional material, so they're only doing specific parts like waving through a window, you will be found and sincerely me. he snacks on some musli bars he has on his desk and replies to emails. mostly about interviews for the show but he can't reply yet. 

then a timid knock is on his door

"come in" dan replies, watching the door. it's Winona

"hey dan.. how are you feeling today?" she asks, walking in and closing the door behind 

"y-yeah I'm fine.." dan sighs

"I talked to Joe yesterday.. but they're not taking him off the show.. he's just going to be away from you" she explains.

"I-its fine.. thank you" dan says quietly

"have you guys.. talked about it? you and phil?.. apparently you left in a hurry yesterday.."

"w-we're kind of taking a break at the moment.." that was the thing they decided on. a 'break' so it sounds more like he doesn't want to talk about it, that means less to make up.

"I'm so sorry dan.. if you need anything just tell me, alright? I better go get ready but, just stay calm alright?" she asks, dan nods. 

"i'll see you soon" she says closing the door. dan feels sick suddenly, he doesn't want her to think it was fake to get her to do things for him. 

once hes in costume and in his cast, they start their day. he's already tired from acting about being upset but its for the better right now. he gets trough all the songs with the cast and gets his cast taken off right afterwards. dan quickly gets changed and goes to Winona's room

"oh dan! come in whats wrong?" she asks

"could you come home with me today?"dan asks, she looks surprised.

"yeah sure, we live close enough together I can come with you. did you want to go now?" She asks

"are you done for today?" dan asks she nods

"then yes please" 

they get in a taxi together and head back to their apartment. dan looking around quickly to see if his mum is waiting. no sign. they get out after paying and start heading to the door

"pity you had to kick that fag out isn't it?" dan turns around quickly. of course she was here waiting.

"what did you just say to him?!" Winona snaps

"who the fuck are you?"

"I should be asking the same question" Winona asks. 

"i'm Daniels mother now if you excuse me I need to talk to him-"

"no! how dare you say that to him! he's in so much pain right now and you're definitely not helping!" perfect, this is what dan wants, to make her believe that dan is heartbroken and that they're breaking up. Dans mum smirks.

"you don't understand this is great. my son is finally becoming normal"

"dan get inside now before I knock this woman the fuck out" Winona growls. dan opens the door quickly and they both step inside, locking dans mum outside. they head into the elevator quickly and head up.

"how dare she! thats your mum?! and she says that after whats happened to you?!" she starts, dan calmly walks out again and unlocks the front door

"What a massive bitch! I can't believe her, I'm so sorr-" dan closes the door behind them and makes sure its locked. their apartment is soundproof so they were told the other day, so no one can hear in.

"Phil I'm back and Winona is here" dan calls out.

"Welcome back" phil walks out smiling softly, Winona looks confused

"w-what?" she asks

"we need to tell you something, it's really important you don't tell anyone else, alright?" dan asks, she nods. they lead her out to the lounge where they sit down on the couch.

"alright. Winona, we aren't taking a break, I wanted to tell you because I felt bad that you were willing to do anything for me. so, thats my mum downstairs that we just met"

"yeah that bitch.." 

"she wants me and phil to break up because she's homophobic. she was put in jail because she beat me for dating phil.. but now she's out and we believe she is working with James to try and get me to leave Dear Evan Hansen so he can be the main and so ill go back and live with that evil woman." dan explains

"oh shit.. a-are you sure?.." she asks

"definitely, this woman is a psychopath and would murder me in a heartbeat. she's mental" phil says

"so you want me to play along?" she asks, they both nod

"alright then! ill be exactly the same, and I'm guessing we can't talk about any of this in public besides here because they'll be watching us, right?"

"right."

"so.. what are you going to do? whilst this is happening?" she asks

"we collect enough information that she's stalking me again and harassing me, and once we find out the history of where phils phone was stolen, we can take it to the authority. but for now we still don't have enough information.." dan sighs.

"oh yeah, the photo.. wait how did he send it though?" 

"we think James stole phils phone the other morning, hacked into it and sent me the message. it was also photoshopped" dan explains

"alright. lets not let these fuckers get away with it"