Chapter Eleven: Two Of A Kind

We pulled up to the compound and parked my car outside. We walked over to the entrance and saw Yuri standing outside the door, holding her knife and sharpening it with a stone.

We walked up to her.

"Uh... hi Yuri." I said.

She flashed me a grin and looked up at me.

"Hello Frost, good to see you still in one piece... for now." she said while playing with her knife.

We walked past Yuri into the building and went down the hallway.

"What happened to Yuri?" I asked.

"We don't know... ever since she found this book she's been like this ever since." Natsuki said.

"A book? What kind of book?!" I asked.

"I don't know what it's called, I think it has an eye on it." Natsuki said.

"An eye?"

"Yeah, or something that looks like one."

We walked over to Monika's office again. We opened the door slowly to see Monika peering out the window with her back turned to us. She put her right hand up.

"Natsuki, Sayori, please leave. I need to have a private conversation with him." Monika said.

"Uh okay..." Natsuki said.

"Bye Frost!" Sayori said joyfully.

They closed the door behind them leaving me alone in the room with Monika.

She turned around and sat down at her desk.

"How was the pick up?" Monika asked.

"We got it done." I said.

I raised the suitcase and opened it, revealing the money.

"Good work... good." Monika said. She took the suitcase and set it on the ground.

"You did good for your first day. Honestly I was expecting you to die." Monika said.

"Oh well thanks." I said annoyed.

"Well it was either that or we tie a 30 second bomb to your back and tell you that you're home free." she said while giggling.

"Thanks that's truly reassuring..." I said sarcastically.

"Anyway I assume that you want this back?" Monika said while she pulled out the Star Emerald.

She held the emerald out to me in the palm of her hand. I walked over to her and took the emerald.

"I'm guessing this is where we part ways then?" Monika asked.

"I suppose so." I said twiddling the emerald between my fingers. I turned around and began to leave the room until Monika said something.

"P-please come back tomorrow..." she said. I turned around and looked Monika in her emerald green eyes. I could see the loneliness and sadness in her eyes.

"It's a promise." I said.

Monika flashed me a faint smile. I closed the door just as Monika set her head down on her desk... I think she started crying.

I walked down the hallway while clicking bullets into the magazine of my Beretta. I met Natsuki and Sayori outside.

"Good work today Natsuki." I said while reaching my hand out to Natsuki.

She shook my hand and flashed a smile at me.

"Sayori you ready to go back home?" I asked.

"Oh um yeah sure." she said.