chapter:32

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

ANNA

My mom called, she was so mad and disappointed. "Anna, what is this I am seeing in the news about you? I have been calling. Why was your phone switched off?" The questions kept pouring.

"Mom, I am so sorry." "Sorry won't cut it this time, young lady. Your dad is so mad at you. If he was here, he would bite off your head." "Mom, this is all a big misunderstanding. I will explain everything. I am coming over right now." She turned to Max. "I have to go."

My mom and dad are so worried about me; they are mad at me. Max wanted to go with me, but I told him not to. He insisted on coming along. I warned him it would only complicate issues, so he saw it my way and stayed put.

Max went off to grant an interview to the reporters, and I went to explain things to my parents. I could feel his gaze on me until I left.

I took a cab straight to my parents'. It turned out my mom was more anxious than mad. She looked worried. She actually screamed when she saw my hair. She is of the opinion that red hair made me look like a hooker and blond makes me look like an angel. I wasn't really concerned with colors of hair now.

I am more worried about dad; he really looked like he would chew someone's head off. He was out for blood, mine or Max's; I wasn't sure. I honestly didn't want to find out. I would have rather avoided this drama. I looked from mom to dad and I told the watered-down version of the story. Of course.

I didn't tell them about the sex or the stealing of the invitation. I still love my life. I just told them I was sick and trapped in the hospital during the snow. My phone was dead. They believed and forgave me. I was taken into the warm embrace of my mom. Dad asked if I was okay now. I told him yes.

Mom prepared me something to eat, and I went off to sleep in my old room. It looked so pretty. I looked the room over with nostalgia. It was all decorated in light pink, my favorite color. One of the reasons I moved out of this room was fear, but thanks to Max I can now face those fears. I laid on my pink sheets, and for the first time in seventeen years, I felt safe, and I slept soundly.

After the meeting with my parents, I drove home, took a shower, and went to tackle the multitude of paperwork that was piled up on my desk. I was still at it, working all night when someone barged into the office. "Who is that?" I screamed in fear. I looked up from the desk, and it was Max.

I grinned from ear to ear. "Did you miss me?" he asked in a singsong voice. "I was so worried when you didn't call. For a week, I thought your parents really did kill you."

I wanted to finish up the workload, and then we would spend all day tomorrow. However, since you are already here, you want to go clubbing?" "Sure!"

I am just in the mood for that. They went to the club. Luckily I was still a redhead; people might not really place my face or so she thought.

Max and I danced until our feet hurt, and since it was pop songs, I could never go out of step. Max made sure I only drank a shot of alcohol, which was already making me hyper and then sleepy. We left the club by 1 am. It was so much fun. Since I couldn't go home, we crashed in Max's office.

I promised myself I'd wake up early and leave. When next I opened my eyes, it was already 10 am. My whole body hurt because I wasn't used to so much energetic dancing.

I stretched and yawned; my clothes were rumpled beyond comparison. I smelled of alcohol and weed; my red hair was sticking out, and my natural blonde hair had started showing at the root. I'm sure I look like nothing else but a hooker.

I was still contemplating my dilemma when Max re-entered with a steaming cup of black coffee and a doughnut, just how I like it.

My stomach growled in acceptance. I was thankful for breakfast, but I couldn't stop myself from getting mad. Why didn't he wake me up to leave? I opened my mouth to ask, took one look at his handsome face and smile, and suddenly forgot what I wanted to say.

My head bobbed down as my heart started fluttering. I completely forgot that I was supposed to be angry with him. I smiled; Max was making me do things I would never have dreamt of doing, but I loved every single moment of it all. Suddenly I was feeling giddy with excitement.

❄MAX❄

I was wondering what Anna was thinking so intently about. Without thinking, I leaned over to brush a stray curl from her hair; at that, she looked up into my eyes.

I felt time freeze, and then I leaned over and took her in my arms. We kissed passionately. She stood up and sat on my laps. We were so engrossed with the kissing each other so hungrily that we didn't hear the knock on the door.

My secretary walked in to inform me that my parents were around. I didn't look too happy. He stopped in mid-sentence. Anna scrambled off my lap; we were half dressed. For a moment, she was completely flustered as she tried to adjust her clothes. I sat indolently watching her.

She was blushing almost to the root of her hair. I got up to help her, and at the same time, I was buttoning up my shirt with one hand. My secretary was visibly flustered as he tactically withdrew.

He closed the door quietly behind him. I turned to Anna, who was still blushing furiously.

"I have to go," she said, biting her lower lip. I cursed under my breath. "I'm so sorry, Anna." "It's okay, Max; you didn't exactly tell him to walk in when he did," and then she burst out laughing. Max looked at her with concern, hoping she is not getting hysterical. "Are you okay?"

"I am great," Anna replied. "It's just that one week ago, if someone had told me I would be doing something as crazy as sneaking into a guy's office or falling in love with him, I would have strangled the person, literally." He grabbed her arms; "Ouch!" she gasped. "That hurts," she exclaimed.

He looked searchingly into her eyes. "Do you really love me?" he asked. When she nodded slowly, he commanded, "Say it again."

"I love you, Max, with all my heart, and I can't imagine going back to how I was..." Before she could complete that sentence, Max claimed her lips and kissed slowly at first

Then, harder, a soft moan escaped her throat. He groaned, "I love you too, Anna. What I feel for you, I have never felt this way for any woman. You are the most genuine person I have ever met."

"Want to come meet my parents?" he asked.

"Max, no, not now," she pleaded frantically. "I can't meet them looking like this."

"Come on, Mom will love you. She has been nagging me to settle down."

She nearly choked on the cold coffee, she started sipping to relieve tension. "By any chance, is that a proposal?"

"Yes," Max answered huskily. She felt a rush of pleasure. She stood on tiptoe and threw her arms around him. He put his hands around her waist. "Come on, sweetheart, let me introduce you."

"I am totally going to regret this," she mumbled under her breath, but I pretended that I did not hear her.