chapter:33

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

❄Max❄

I was so shocked when Anna ran off, but then, I knew she wasn't very used to confrontations. I faced my parent. They looked back at me with utmost surprise and confusion.

"We came here, Max," dad began, "because we are disappointed in you." "What has come over you?" my dad began in a stern voice. "You have been dragging the Donavan name in the mud. What is the meaning of this engagement, broken engagement? It's not even up to two weeks, you cancelled your engagement causing a scandal that shook the whole of Cherry Bloom, this is affecting our company and shares, you know how much our brand hates scandal, there are calls already of you being unfit to take over from me".

"Now you have another woman in tow. Young man, you need to make up your mind on what you want. If we give our consent to this girl, Anna, then that's it, you must marry her and keep this gossip at bay, the Leila match would have been wonderful for our business considering the connections her father holds in politics, but out family is built on love not just connection, so if its this Anna girl you are in love with so be it.."

"From the list you have told me about your girl Anna and from what our private investigators have been able to dig up, Anna,seems a good sort, a bit on the shy side, but a good sort all the same. You must stick with her no matter what happens." "Yes, dad." "So what about Leila? You never told us anything about Leila, we just woke up to news of your sudden almost engagement and then the outrageous party".

That is so unlike you gathering all this negative publicity . Max apologized to his mom and dad. "It's just that things with Leila happened so fast..." he left it at that.

He didn't want to tell his parents about the deception or tarnish Leila's image more than it has been already. His parents gave their consent for him to marry Anna.

"She looks so homely," his mother inserted. His dad's eyes twinkled mischievously. "Oh yes," he agreed, "and pretty too. I must say, the Donavan men have eyes for beautiful clever women. Say, Max, do you always bring your rendezvous to the office?" he teased. After that, his parents got up to leave.

His mom whispered in his ears, "Bring her over to see me at home next week. Make sure to fix the engagement soon and the wedding too, of course.

"I cannot wait to carry my grandchild."

Max silently thanked his stars that Anna ran off the way she did. She would have died of embarrassment. He was used to his parents intruding in his personal life. Anna is a conservative person from what he has seen of her.

Anna stood in front of the office shaking with nerves. She called Emma to come pick her up. Her money, purse, and even her phone were still at Max's office.

Luckily she knew Emma's number by heart. She borrowed the shop assistant's phone and made the call. Emma promised to be there in a second. The owner of the shop, a kind elderly woman Mrs. Brown, invited her to sit inside and wait, but she didn't want to.

She couldn't ignore the weird glances she was getting, and moreover, she didn't think she could stand anymore.

She stepped out of the store. The cold September air hit her like a slap. It was refreshing and she felt a bit better. Thirty minutes passed getting to one hour, still no Emma.

She began to regret leaving the shop. She could have easily gone back to Max's office which was like a 30-minute walk, but what the heck was she supposed to tell him? That she bailed out on him, leaving him there to tackle his parents on his own? And supposing his parents are still there? She would freeze to death rather than go back.

She was still standing there contemplating on what to do when a car honked behind her. Already feeling irritated she turned to give the bastard a piece of her mind.

Emma stepped out reeking of self-confidence. When she saw Emma, she nearly cried. Emma hugged her and told her it was going to be okay. They drove to her apartment. She borrowed the entrance key from the security.

She let herself inside and looked around. Gosh! how she missed this apartment and her peaceful life which has been turned upside down by a perfect stranger. Even all the defenses she has put up had all been shattered.

Emma, always the considerate friend, immediately made Anna a cup of coffee and gave her a blanket. Anna was so grateful to her. Emma waited for her to take a sip. Then she asked her to spill. Anna told her every single detail.

Then something clicked in her brain, she turned to her friend with evil in her eyes. "I went to that party with you, so how on earth did I end up going home with Max?" Emma looked sheepishly at her.

"Well, there was nothing I could do about it, he was hell-bent on taking you home. Moreover, I wanted you to heal, you were becoming really cold. He was the first guy I have seen you obsess over." Anna stared in shock at her friend.

Then she burst out laughing. "Thanks, Emma."

"For what?"

"For understanding me more than I do." "Awww, Emma gushed, you are welcome sweetie. Now tell me, how has things been at the shop?"

"Well, Anna dear, your newfound popularity has made the shop go boom. I have almost sold off everything for a higher price. Almost all the women in Cherry Bloom came to the shop. Some to check out the woman who finally succeeded in capturing the playboy's heart and others to see if they can be captured by the swarms of reporters always loitering around.

"Oh my gosh!" Anna said burying her head in a blanket.

"It's not that bad."

"I will come to the office tomorrow to dispel the rumors. I will speak to the reporters then I will try and get my life and act together.

I might love him well, I know I do but I can't afford that luxury. He is everything I'm not and a playboy too. Supposing he dumps me. I can't allow that to happen."

Anna was so worried and confused she has even forgotten about her birthday which was supposed to be the next day. Her parents had been calling. She didn't know because her phone was still at Max's office.

Numerous birthday messages kept pouring in from colleagues and even people she didn't know. There were soul-shuddering hate mails too which she didn't get because her phone wasn't with her.