chapter: 8✔

I woke up this morning feeling like crap running to the restroom , I barely managed to squat before the content of my stomach spewed from my lips. I kept throwing up until there was nothing left, even then I continued retching, until I felt the door upon and Diane squatted beside helping me to my feet, flushing down the gruesome content of my stomach I tried not to throw up all over the place, I was then led to the sink where she handed me a minty mouth wash.

I managed to rinse out the remnant of the foul taste from my mouth, unconsciously obeying her silent command, The whole room still spurn such that for an instant there, I couldn't grasp the decoration nor the building I stood in. The intense pounding in my head made me want to just go curl into a ball and die.

Silently, I swore never to touch alcohol anymore but this was the second time breaking my oath , after washing my mouth and splashing my face, I could finally stand steadily on my two feet, seeing this Diana finally gave me the privacy i so desperately sought , I proceeded to strip myself and turn the shower on. The concept of being alone had been ingrained into me such that the concept of standing utterly nude in front of another person made me break out in a cold sweat, due to th fact that I hated my body,Setting the shower such that the intensity was almost blistering and I proceeded to take the much-needed bath.

The bath helped relived the intense pain I was feeling. unfortunately my head still hurt. When I stepped out from the shower , I felt better and my friends were chatting away looking extra chipper and cute as though we didn't just spend the whole of the night partying after getting drunk the night before at my house.  Our feet were mercilessly stomped on as we danced and drunk to a stupor each person become as clumsy as their dance partners and giggling stupidly at nothing .

None of them were looking as bad as I did, even Nancy who took an extra swig of whiskey with me that night looked exuberant and happy she didn't look sleep-deprived as I felt. They continued chatting like old friends not paying me any heed to my dark mood which further irritated me, leaving in a huff I went to the kitchen where Maya was preparing breakfast and asked her if she had any aspirin thankfully she did and handed me two pills and a glass of water which I took gratefully quenching my patched lips. While she fussed over how pale and sleep deprived I looked.

I wanted to call in sick and not attend classes, but I knew better Maya was already suspicious, and I had to avoid arousing her suspicion any more than it already was, if I skipped school Maya would conclude immediately that the illness was severe which would automatically lead to a blood test and also the discovery that I had been drinking, and all hell would let loose.

Already she had begun fussing how I looked pale and the bags that had unfortunately formed under my eyes. My dad is normally a very absent and easy going father but if he felt I was by any means misusing my freedom then I cringe to think of what would happen, even though I was currently a bit cranky and sulky to my two best friends, I would hate to lose them. They may be a bit over demanding to the extent of cruelty,but they do take care of me.

So hopping(more like stumbling) to my room, I proceeded to dress up for school grabbing a simple black oversized shirt and a legging with my flip-flop, I then proceeded to brush my hair and held it down in a loose braid completing the look with my glasses. The conversation in the room seized as my two new best friends gawked at me like I had grown an extra head. What! I demanded, staring back at them with equal ferocity. Like I said I was cranky, you wouldn't be staring at me because I look extra cute today right?asked dreading their reply.

“Ugh Leila serious you aren't five any more I mean you can't plan on wearing that to school right?”. Nancy asked, staring in distaste at my outfit.Diana didn't even wait for me to gather my thoughts before she began speaking on my behalf.” I don't think she is, maybe she's wearing it to the dinning room you know I smell something amazing cooking maybe she just threw the outfit on to grab breakfast before dressing for classes ”.

“Your probably right” Nancy replied, the conversation went back and forth like that completely excluding me the topic of their conversation.

All the while I stared at them tongue-tied mouth agape stunned at the total rudeness of their action. Nancy suddenly yanked at my hair causing me to gasp in pain, she loosened the sloppy braid and proceeded to brush out my hair. As if on cue Diana silently began examining my walk in closet for something they obviously would like, soon my bed was a piled of obviously outdated and out of fashion styles, they looked pitying at me making me feel smaller and more pathetic than I already felt.

This caused me to swallow back anything I would have uttered to defend myself.” Look Leila no more food for you in fact no more breakfast you need to lose weight she stated matter-of-factly when she saw the argument in my mannerism, she proceeded to completely silence me with a blow to my self-esteem, aren't you sick of feeling self-conscious?, Aren't you tired of having to wear baggy clothes? Nancy asked, fixing me a death glare".

She then turned to Diana” grab that skinny jean from my backpack and the red net top I bought at the mall it would suit her more we may have to skip school and go shopping Leila needs a new change of wardrobe”. Finally, I couldn't bear it anymore, hello am right here, I grimaced when two set of eyes turned to look to me, swallowing my objections, I sat patiently as Nancy tried to undo the knot on my hair finally giving up.

She turned to Diana "get dressed Leila can't go to school looking like this she needs to get a total makeover, Leila you do have your credit card right?.” Yes I nodded submissively afraid to offend them. Still feeling groggy, I went out to meet my friends Diana and Nancy who were well-dressed and looked liked they both just stepped out from a fashion magazine.

Diana seeing my miserable countenance and obviously taking pity on me handed me a glass of orange juice well at least that's what it looked like. Whatever was put in the drink to give it a minty flavor worked like magic I would have loved to sit and have Maya toast but of course the girls worked against it and here I was sulking, although feeling noticeable better from my tumble last night.

The fact that the were talking like I didn't exist earlier made me feel mad and left out but just like my meek mannerism towards my parents, I was too much of a coward to actually yell at them or show my true feeling about anything. In the mall while the picked tight-fitting dresses, corset and painfully high heels with more makeup and accessories than I could actually wear in a lifetime.

I wanted to yell at them, tell them I loved loose fitting things because it made me feel free, I wanted to tell them I loved my hair long way past my hip even if it looked unruly, but I didn't say anything as I was coerced to the hairdressers, neither did I utter a word while my hair was trimmed to a moderate back length and dyed with streaks of red, I wanted to scream and tell them I wanted it in pink, pink was my favorite color, but I bit my lips till the metallic taste of blood flooded my lips and I did nothing but sit there and smile prettily. Tears gathered but i held it all in this was a price i had to pay for what i wanted, to be noticed .