Chapter One

Bostyn's POV:

"Bostyn Jackson, just who I was looking for." My best friend Ava showed up behind my locker door and extended her arms for a hug.

"Ava, hey!" I smiled as we hugged tightly. "Last year here, doesn't it feel great?"

"Great?" She asked as she set her bag down by our feet. "Great is an understatement, it feels fantastic! After this year it will be no more waking up at six am, no more annoying peers, and no more Steve." We exchanged a look when she said Steve, her evil ex boyfriend. At least she thinks he's evil, I just go along with it.

"You thinking about attending Jordan's party tonight?" I asked her as I stuck a math book in my locker.

"Jordan Jacobson's?" She asked me as her phone dinged.

"Yes. Everyone is invited." I told her as I picked my bag up from my feet.

"Who told you that?"

"Shawn." I shrugged as I through a few pencils in the front pocket of my bag. "Speaking of Shawn, have you seen him? His car was already gone when I drove by his house this morning and he texted me about the party yesterday night but I haven't actually seen him since Friday."

"Boo hoo, three days." Ava said with a sarcastic tone. "You guys have been best friends for six years, you can take a three day break from each other."

I turned and rolled my eyes at her. "That's not what I meant."

Ava was looking straight ahead, then she quickly picked up her backpack and patted my back. "Speak of the devils, i'll catch you later."

I shut my locker door and looked to the left to see who caused her to run off so abruptly. "Bostynnn, miss me?" Shawn said as he embraced me in a hug. My head was against his chest since he was about 6'2", one of the tallest guys in school.

"Of course!" I laughed as I pulled away. Standing next to him was Steve Canner, Ava's ex boyfriend that she dated for a year and a half.

"I see that your partner in crime decided to run off as soon as she saw me, it's been a year since we've broke up, can't we at least be civil?" Steve asked as he leaned against the locker next to mine.

"Maybe eventually you guys can." I shrugged, not wanting to talk about Ava with him.

"I'm just saying, she is the one who is blowing it all out of proportion, I mean-"

Shawn quickly cut him off, "Steve, just let it go dude. Not right now." I turned and smiled at Shawn as a thank you, and he smiled and nodded in return. "I'm going to walk Bostyn to her class, see you in first hour?" Shawn asked Steve.

"Sadly." He said as he started to walk off. "Senior year!" Steve turned and threw his fist up in the air, waiting for a response from Shawn.

"Senior year!" Shawn yelled back before shaking his head and giving me his attention again. "What's your first hour?"

"Calculus, yours?" I asked him as we started to walk out of the English hall and towards the math hall.

"English, with Steve." He pointed back towards his classroom.

I cringed. "And Ava."

"She's in there too?" He asked.

"Yes, she will want to switch out as soon as she sees Steve walk in." I felt bad for my best friend. "You can just go to class if you want, since i'm making you go out of your way walking to mine."

"No way!" He shook his head. "I always walk you to your first hour, it's a tradition!"

"But you don't have to." I reassured him. "They're usually closer than this."

"No one said I have to, I want to. Plus, it's senior year, I can't stop now." We exchanged another smile before we were standing outside of my first hour class.

"See you fourth hour?" I asked him.

"See you fourth hour, B." He smiled.

Before Shawn could walk away I reached out and touched his arm. "Can you do me a favor?"

"What is it?" He asked.

"Can you look out for Ava, please. Especially because Steve is in that class too." I Begged. "For me, Shawn, please?"

Shawn moved my hand from his arm and held my hand in his. His hand was much bigger than mine, and warm. "Of course. See you fourth hour."

A small smile appeared across my face. "See you fourth hour."