Chapter Eleven

"What do you mean I can't hang out with Bostyn in Italy?" Shawn look from Ava to me, holding his arms up in confusion.

"Well i'm assuming that since you are going to Italy, your idiot friend is too. I mean, you guys were friends when we did the scheduling in eighth grade." Ava said, shifting her weight from her right foot to her left.

"Are you kidding me?" Shawn exclaimed. "Bostyn, no input?"

"I don't know." Was all I said. On one hand, Ava is my best friend, and I can't abandon her, nor do I want to. But on the other hand, so is Shawn, and I don't want to abandon him either.

"Bostyn!" Ava snapped her fingers in my face.

"Huh?" I asked, they were both staring at me. "Sorry, I zoned out."

"We can tell." Ava seemed annoyed, but I just shrugged it off.

"Repeat the question or whatever you said, please." I told her.

"How about we both get to spend time with you in Italy, just not at the same time." Shawn stepped in.

"Yeah, that sounds fine." I shrugged, it really didn't matter to me as long as I didn't have to choose between the two of them. "I mean I wish I could spend the whole trip with both of you, but that will do."

Shawn sighed and looked at Ava. "You can't just deal with Steve for seven days? Seven days, Ava."

"Are you kidding me?" Ava shot back. "I couldn't deal with him for one day, Shawn. Butt out."

"What if I get Steve to apologize, or whatever you want him to do." He asked. "I'll even make him behave while we're there."

"I hate Steve." Was all Ava said.

"I know, I know." Shawn kept trying. "But what if."

I turned and looked at Ava, waiting for a response. "I don't know, i'll have to think about it."

"Great." Shawn smiled. "You think about it, and then you let me know, okay?"

"Yeah, okay." Ava rolled her eyes. "But before I think about it you have to go get Bostyn and I something to eat."

"What?" Shawn asked.

"We're hungry." Ava looked at me and I shrugged. "At least I am. And if you don't get us food I won't think about it."

Shawn looked at me with his head tilted. "She can't be serious."

I turned and looked at Ava, then I turned back to Shawn. "Oh she is."

Shawn sighed and pulled his car keys out of his pockets. "What do you guys want?" He asked.

"A pepperoni pizza." Ava told him.

"Be back in like fifteen or twenty minutes." Shawn said as he walked towards the front door.

"Thanks." I said as I stood up.

"Love you, Shawn." Ava called after him, happy that she had gotten her way.

"Yup, love you too." I heard Shawn respond before the front door shut.

"Grey's is about to come on, want to watch?" I asked her as I walked into the TV room. Ava followed me in and sat down next to me on the couch.

"Bostyn, I can't." Ava said as I flipped on Grey's anatomy, the theme song playing.

"You can't what? Think about it?" I asked her.

"No, I can't go and deal with Steve. I can't be around him!" She clarified.

"Oh, Ava." I sighed. "Yes you can!"

"I can hardly handle seeing him at school, I can't handle seven straight days of him!"

"I'll be there, for moral support." I told her.

"Yeah, I know, and I appreciate that, but still, Bostyn." I could tell she was upset. "And plus I heard he's talking to Natalie Reed, and that hurts, Bostyn. I know it shouldn't but it still hurts!" She was trying her hardest to hold back her tears, but she wasn't doing very well.

I reached out and wiped one of them from her face. "Hey, it's okay, you can cry." I told her as she hugged me. "It should still hurt, you loved him, but it won't hurt forever. He's just a jerk, but that doesn't mean you should let him ruin you, or your life, or our trip to Italy."

Ava was lightly sobbing into my shirt. "The trip is coming up too fast, i'm not sure if I can make up my mind that quickly."

"Just try, okay. That's all we can ask." I patted her head and she reached for my hand and squeezed it.

"I love you, Bost."

"I love you too, Ava." I smiled at her as she sat back up, her mascara mixing with her tears, turning them black as they quickly rolled down her face.

"I'm going to go clean up before Shawn gets back, he can't know I still cry over Steve." Ava got up and started to walk towards the bathroom.

"And he won't." I smiled, letting her know I would keep her secret safe.

As soon as Ava went into the bathroom the knob on my front door started to twist. Shawn walked in with a large pizza in one hand and a two liter of Pepsi in the other. I followed him out to the kitchen and watched him set the stuff down on my kitchen counter.

As soon as Shawn set everything down he turned and faced me. "What did I miss?" He asked. I looked down to where he was pointing and saw Ava's tear stains on my shirt.

"My water bottle leaks." I said. Shawn just nodded and grabbed a plate.