Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Happy Birthday!"

I walked into Ava's house and saw four figures pop up behind her kitchen island.

"Thank you!" I smiled as I walked into the kitchen, identifying them as Ava, Aaliyah, Steve and Jason.

"Come here!" Ava squealed.

I walked into her arms and let her squeeze me as we hugged. "Alright, Ava, it's getting hard to breathe."

"Sorry, it's just my best friend's birthday!" She pulled away and shook my shoulders, my brown hair flying into my face.

I blew my brown hair out of my face and smiled at her. "Thank you, Ava."

"Awh you're welcome, Bost." She said as she stepped out of the way of me.

"Happy birthday, Bostyn, bring it in!" Jason revealed himself behind Ava and opened up his arms to me.

"Thank you!" I smiled.

"Where's my hug?" Steve asked as he threw a chip into his mouth.

"After mine," Aaliyah said as she walked up to me. "if she even wants to give you one."

"Aaliyah!" Steve shouted.

"Yes?" Aaliyah asked as she wished me happy birthday and hugged me.

"I thought we were cool." Steve acted fake sad.

"You thought wrong." Aaliyah rolled her eyes before mouthing "annoying" to me.

I shook my head to show I agreed and laughed. "Shawn is definitely the cool Mendes kid." Steve continued.

"Be quiet, Steve." Ava gave him a dirty look.

"Sorry." Steve said quietly.

"Anyways, come get a snack before the movie, Bostyn." Ava waved me towards the snack table.

"Oh i'm actually good right now, thank you though." I told her.

"No you're not." Ava said, bluntly. "It's chips and green salsa, your favorite."

I thought for a second then sighed. "Well, I guess maybe a few chips won't hurt."

We sat and ate chips while talking for a while until Aaliyah got a call. "Excuse me for a second."

Ava stared at her as she walked away from us, then the rest of us continued to talk about graduation.

"You guys ready to head to the movies?" Aaliyah asked as she appeared in front of us again.

Ava looked around at each of us. "Yeah, I think we are."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Steve yelled. "I'll drive."

-

"Opinions on the movie?" Ava asked as we drove back to my house.

"I liked it." Aaliyah smiled.

"I wasn't a fan, it was a girl movie." Steve pretended that he was gagging.

"I agree with Steve," Jason nodded. "but it wasn't awful."

"Where to now, Bostyn?" Steve turned to ask me.

"Tonight was great guys," I said, sitting up in the seat. "but I think i'm ready to go home."

"Seriously?" They all said in sync.

"Yes, seriously." I laughed. "I am tired, and ready to go home."

"Bostyn Anne!" Steve said as he looked at me in the rear view mirror.

"That's not even my middle name." I shook my head.

"I thought I had a fifty fifty chance." He shrugged.

"Nope." I said as I looked out the window.

"You can't go home now!" Ava argued.

"Yeah, it's your birthday!" Aaliyah tapped my arm.

"Yeah, what the girls said." Steve added.

"Guys." Jason interrupted. "If she wants to go home, take her home, it's her birthday."

Everyone was quiet until Steve pulled into my driveway and unlocked the car. "Happy birthday, Bostyn." Ava hugged me before I got out of the car.

"Happy birthday." I heard Steve and Aaliyah say.

"Thank you guys, it was fun." I said awkwardly as I got out of the car.

Jason quickly unbuckled and opened the door. "I'll walk you to the door."

"You don't have to." I told him, but he continued to follow me up the driveway.

"Sorry they're being so hard on you." Jason said as he followed me.

"It's okay, they were just trying to make my birthday fun." I shrugged.

"I know you're upset." He said as I opened my front door.

I slowly shut it and looked at him in the dark. "I'm not upset."

"Our first class together was in third grade, and we've had classes together ever since, I know how you act when you're upset, and this is it."

"Oh Jason." I said, waving his comment off. "I'm just tired."

"It's Shawn missing your birthday for the first time since you guys have met, isn't it?" He asked, staring me in the eyes.

"No, of course not." I defended myself. I regained my composure and stood up straighter. "I'm just tired, Jason."

Jason sighed and then shook his head. "Then maybe you should get some rest."

I nodded. "I agree." Then I opened my front door again and went inside, looking back at Jason one last time before closing the door and locking it.

-

A/N- sorry for not updating in a while, I was on vacation. More updates should come shortly, thank you for your patience and I hope you are enjoying the story!