Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Can you carry the bear in yourself?" Jason asked me as he turned his brights on as he turned into my neighborhood. "It's as tall as you!"

We both laughed. "I think i've got it."

"I knew you wouldn't need help, you never do."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked him.

"You're independent. I like that."

I smiled. "Thanks."

"You don't need to thank me all the time."

"Okay." I smiled.

Jason turned his lights off before turning into the driveway so the bright car lights wouldn't shine into my house since it was already ten o'clock.

"So you're sure you can get everything on your own?" He asked as he parked his car.

"I think so, yeah." I said as I unlocked the door and got out.

Jason unbuckled his seat belt and got out of the car. "Here, let me help you." He said as he walked around to the backseat and opened the door.

The giant teddy bear Jason and I combined our tickets to get took up most of the backseat. Jason attempted to pull it out gently, making sure he wouldn't mess it up.

"You name it yet?" He asked me, making small talk.

"Nope, couldn't think of a name."

"Knowing you you'd probably name it something basic like Teddy." He laughed.

I pretending to think for a second. "That's a cute name. Teddy it is!"

"Oh my gosh, Bostyn." He laughed.

"What? What's wrong with the name Teddy?" I asked him.

He finally got the huge bear completely out of the back and looked at me. "Nothing, nothing at all. It's perfect." He said as he leaned the bear up against the car. "I had fun tonight, thank you."

"No, thank you!" I said, a little too excited. "You're the one who planned the day and made it happen, thank you."

"You don't have to thank me."

"But I want to."

"Well you don't have to." He said again, his white hat looked bright in the dark, and so did the white of his eyes. "But you're welcome."

"My birthday was great, thanks to you."

"Anytime, I like hanging out with you."

"That was cheesy." I snorted before covering my face, embarrassed.

Jason let out a loud laugh and moved my hand from my face. "No need to be embarrassed, that was cute."

I groaned. "No it wasn't. But thank you." I leaned my head on his shoulder. "And I like hanging out with you too."

We both stood there silent for a second. When I picked up my head off of his shoulder I saw that he was staring at me. My stomach startle to tingle as our faces got close to each others. As soon as our lips were inches apart, a loud pop that sounded like a gunshot came from my front porch.

Jason and I both jumped and bumped heads. A figure on the porch moved, causing the motion light to light up the whole porch. Jason and I stepped back from each other and squinted to the tall figure on the porch.

"Sorry guys, didn't mean to interrupt." Shawn said, a pair of keys in one hand and a popped balloon in the other.

I gave him a dirty look, then looked at Jason. "Thanks again." I said to Jason, irritated with Shawn.

"Anytime." Jason said as he faked a smile and opened his car door as I walked towards the porch.

"Bye Jason." Shawn waved as Jason backed out of my driveway.

I tried to ignore Shawn as I unlocked my front door, but gave in and stared at him, waiting for him to explain why he had just acted so ridiculous.

"Oh, Bostyn!" He acted fake surprised to see me. "This was for you, before I accidentally popped it." He handed the string to me, the popped balloon dangling from the bottom of it. "Happy belated birthday!"