Chapter Thirty-Three

"Stay our of this, Steve." Shawn said as he shoved Steve back.

"What is your problem, Shawn?" Jason asked him, walking closer to him.

"You, Jason, you're my problem." Shawn said, a deep red mark appearing where he had been hit.

"Is this about Bostyn?" Jason asked him. "Huh?"

"Guys, come on." Steve said, attempting to step in again, but both boys ignored him, not breaking their eye contact with each other.

"You're mad that she didn't want to wait around for you since you left her to head off to college?" Jason asked him.

I opened my mouth to say something but Ava shook her head no at me.

"You act like you know everything!" Shawn said, raising his voice.

"Boys, boys, is there a problem over here?" A chaperone named Mr. Daniels, who is also the gym teacher asked as he broke through the huddle that was surrounding the three boys.

"No problem here." Shawn said, shaking his head as he took a step away from Jason.

"We both were just talking about how beautiful Bostyn looks." Jason said, pointing to me then grinning at Shawn. "Save a dance for me, B. Then maybe we can pick up where we left off the other night before we were interrupted."

Shawn clenched his hand into a fist, his face getting red. I stood back, my stomach hurting as I considered my options on what to do next. Leave? Go in?

"Nice tie, Shawn. You've got my vote." Jason winked at him as he fixed his suit jacket walked into the gym.

"Shawn." I said as he walked right past me and towards the doors that lead outside. "Are you leaving?"

Shawn abruptly stopped and turned to look at me. "I need some fresh air, you go inside, I'll find you when I come back in."

I nodded before he turned, then I watched him shove the doors open and stomp outside.

Ava put her hand on my shoulder, bringing me back to reality. "Join us?" She asked.

I looked at her, then at Steve. "I think I'll just wait here, you two go in. Thanks though."

"No way!" Steve shook his head no. "Come on, Bost. They've already played like ten songs, we're missing it."

I agreed and followed them into the dark, decorated gym.

"You two go dance, I'm going to take a seat and calm down a little." I told them.

"You sure?" Ava asked me.

"Positive."

From across the room I saw Jason talking to Marissa Baylor, a girl I used to be friends with in seventh grade. She pointed to the bruise on his face and Jason waved off whatever question she had asked.

-

Half an hour had passed and there was still no sign of Shawn. I continued to patiently sit at the table I had claimed, watching my classmates have the night of their lives on the dance floor.

"Can I have this dance?" A hand extended to me. I looked up and saw Steve, his white teeth shining at me as he smiled.

"That was cheesy." I rolled my eyes. "Where's Ava?"

"She needed a snack break, now come dance with me." He waved his hand in front of my face, waiting for me to take it.

I put my hand in his and he pulled me up. "No time to wait around for Shawn, the dance floor is where all the fun is happening."

As soon as we got onto the dance floor the previous song ended, a slow song now blasting through the speakers. The atmosphere around us changed as everyone switched from jumping around like maniacs fo slow dancing with their dates.

"Wait until the next song?" I asked Steve, turning towards where our seats where.

He spun me back around so I was facing him. "Why would we do that? You don't want to slow dance with me?"

"I just didn't know f you thought it would be weird." I shrugged.

"I've known you too long for slow dancing to be weird." He laughed as we slowly swayed side to side. "I'm no Shawn." He said to me, looking me in the eyes. "But I'm trying." A pity smile was plastered onto his face.

"Thank you, Steve. You're a good guy." I told him.

"I try."