Chapter Twenty-Six

"I mean, this year is practically almost over." Ava said as we walked through the book store.

"It's May." Aaliyah said as she shoved a book back on the shelf.

"I meant school year." Ava corrected herself. "At least for Bostyn and I."

"Fifteen more days." I said, as I looked at a Nicholas Sparks book.

"I'm counting down the seconds." Ava smiled.

"Lucky you, I have just over a month."

"You'll survive." I laughed.

"Yeah I don't know."

"Hey Bostyn, did you end up getting summer acceptance?" Ava asked me as we walked towards the doors.

"Yes, did you?" I asked her.

"Yes." She grinned.

"Ava!" I squealed as I threw my arms around her on the wet sidewalk, cold raindrops hitting my head. "I am so excited!"

"Me too!" She smiled. "I am working on trying to convince one of your roommates to trade rooms with me, I mean I know i'm only six down the hall, but if I can get into your room that would be ideal."

"We'll take whatever we can get."

"I wish I could go to the same university as my best friend." Aaliyah chimed in.

I jumped, forgetting she was there for a second. "Maybe you will." I shrugged.

"Doubt it." She frowned before jumping to avoid a puddle.

"Ava and I were just lucky enough to both get accepted, plus we're both attending for around the same thing."

"You're lucky."

"Yeah, I guess we are."

"Time for birthday talk." Ava cut in.

"Birthday talk?" I asked.

"What are you going to do for your birthday tomorrow?"

"Probably just dinner with you two, maybe a movie."

"That's it?" Ava shouted.

"I don't like parties."

"I know you don't, but that doesn't mean you can't find something more fun to do."

"I think dinner and a movie is fun. You guys don't?"

"No it's not that, it's just-"

"That sounds lame." Aaliyah cut Ava off. "Especially for your eighteenth birthday."

"Ouch, Liyah."

"I'm sorry, it's just you only turn eighteen once."

"I know, but that's what I want to do."

Ava shrugged. "If that's what you really want, then it's what we'll do."

"Thank you." I liked getting my way, especially when it came to my birthday, and I knew Ava would respect that. And Aaliyah was just being fourteen year old Aaliyah, and I loved her for that. "You guys ready to go home, i'm feeling tired."

-

I woke up to my phone ringing on my bedside table. I rushed to reach for it and squinted to see the name at the top of the screen. I knew who it was before the name was clear enough to read, I could tell by the picture of us posing in front of a statue in Italy.

"Shawn, hey!" My voice cracked.

"You're up."

"Barely, you just woke me up."

"On your birthday, i'm so sorry."

"Don't worry about it."

"I mean it is one o'clock, I thought I was safe to call, especially because you hadn't answered my texts.

"Sorry, was catching up on sleep, spent a lot of nights up late, studying." I told him.

"Well I wanted to call and wish you a happy birthday, i'm sorry I couldn't make it down there."

"Don't worry about it, I understand!"

There was a pause on the phone. "Happy eighteenth, Bosty."

"Thank you." I smiled.

"I'll talk to you later, enjoy your day."

"Thanks, talk to you later."

Shortly after I hung up the phone my door swung open. "Is that my daughter I hear?" My mom said as she walked into my room.

"It is." I sat up.

"Happy birthday!" She hugged me.

"Thank you, mom."

"Any plans for today?"

I got up and followed her out of my room and down to the kitchen. "Meeting up with Aaliyah and Ava at Ava's house, then going out to dinner and a movie."

"What time are you guys meeting?" She asked.

"Three, I have two hours."

"That sounds fun."

"Do I hear the birthday girl?"

"Yes you do." My mom answered as my father came around the corner and into view.

"Happy birthday, honey, eighteen is a great year."

"Thank you, dad." I hugged him. "You guys are the best."

"No you are." My mom poked my nose. "Now you better start getting ready, two hours can fly by."