Chapter Thirty

"Bostyn should be down any second." I heard my dad talking to someone. "I thought I heard her faucet running upstairs a second ago."

"No worries, Mr. Jackson, you can head to work, I can wait here for her."

"Alright, thank you Shawn." I heard my dad say, the sound of the door shutting shortly after the words came out of his mouth.

"Go away!" I yelled before I even saw him.

"Someone's grouchy. Rough night last night?" He asked me.

"My night was great, well until someone ruined it." I pointed my finger in his face.

"I didn't mean to."

"Oh yeah, your keys just randomly stabbed into the balloon, popping it."

"Mhm." He shook his head.

"Gosh you're such a liar!" I said as I slammed the refrigerator door shut.

"What did that fridge ever do to you?"

"Shut up, Shawn!" I rolled my eyes.

"Just one question. Since when were you and Jason a thing?"

I sighed. "We're not."

"Kind of looked like you were to me."

"We were just hanging out yesterday."

"Don't play the friends card with me."

"It's none of your business anyways!" I raised my voice.

"It kind of is."

"Don't you have a college class to study for?" I asked him.

"Attitude!" He raised his eyebrows with me.

"What do you want, Shawn?"

"I was wondering..."

"What?" I asked him since he was taking too long.

"What colors are we wearing to prom? I bought the tickets." He pulled two blue tickets out of his back pocket. He waved the tickets in front of my face.

I smacked them down and stared at him. "Who said we're going together?"

"I mean, I was just assuming."

"Maybe I don't want to go with you."

"Who else would you want to go with?" He asked me. I smirked at him and he cleared his throat. "Actually don't answer that."

"That's what I thought."

"Are we going or not? I need to know if I just wasted eighty bucks or not."

"Ouch." I said. "Wasted? Then why don't you just go with someone else?"

"That's not what I meant." Shawn stood up from his stool and ran his fingers through his hair. "Just you're the person I want to go with, Bostyn. And you know that."

"Do I though?" I asked, joking around with him just to make him mad.

"Yes you do." He said, reaching out and grabbing my head. "Now come on."

"I don't know." I pretended to consider my options. "I was actually thinking of going with Jason."

"Did he say something about going with you?" He asked me, letting go of my hand.

"Maybe, maybe not." I said, walking towards the stairs. I turned and saw Shawn sitting back down at the table, he looked frustrated. "Red." I said before walking up the stairs. "We're wearing red."