Chapter Seven

"I wouldn't trust Bostyn's taste in dresses." Shawn said as we walked into a boutique in the mall.

"What's wrong with my taste in dresses?" I asked, offended.

"It's a joke!" Shawn put his hands up in surrender.

"Who invited you anyways?" I asked him. "Oh right, you begged us to bring you along."

"I wouldn't call it begging, I just simply asked because I had nothing to do."

Aaliyah pulled a sparkly red dress off the rack. "What do you think of this one?" She asked.

"I like it." I smiled.

Shawn opened his mouth to say something. "Don't even think about it." Aaliyah stopped him.

"Go try it on." I told her. Aaliyah nodded and took the dress to the dressing room.

"I don't know what's gotten into her, she never gives me this much attitude." Shawn shook his head.

"She's about to be a teenager, that's what we do."

"Well it doesn't mean she can hurt my feelings!" He whined.

"Suck it up, Shawn." I rolled my eyes. I stopped joking and decided to become more serious. "She'll grow out of it, just give her time and be patient."

"You grew out of it though."

"And she will too!" I reassured him. "She's a good kid, just let her do things on her own and she'll be okay."

"You're actually kind of smart." Shawn laughed.

"Kind of smart?" I asked.

"Very, I guess. But don't let it get to your head."

"Bostyn? Shawn?" I heard Aaliyah say.

"Coming." Shawn and I said in sync.

"Ready to see dress number one?" She asked, her head peaking out of the dressing room.

I was excited to see the first dress on her. "Of course!"

"Here we go!" Aaliyah grinned as she opened the dressing room door all the way and stepped out. The scarlet red dress glimmered in the dressing room light, and it went just above her knees.

"Aaliyah it's-"

Before I could finish Shawn interrupted me, "gorgeous!"

I nodded to show I agreed.

"Should I try another one on?" Aaliyah asked as she twirled in front of the mirror.

"I think you should get that one." Shawn pointed to the dress that was on her.

"Are you positive? How positive?" She asked.

"Very. 100%." Shawn shook his head in approval.

Aaliyah turned and looked at me. "Bostyn? Do you have an opinion?"

"I agree with Shawn." Shawn looked at me and smiled. "I think that's the one."

"Then let's get it!" Aaliyah said, the biggest smile on her face. "Let me change, then we can buy it."

"We'll be out here." Shawn told her as we turned and made our way back out to the store.

"She looks so pretty in that." I smiled to myself.

"Yeah, she does." Shawn agreed. "Makes me sad how fast she's growing up."

"Me too." I frowned.

Aaliyah walked out of the dressing room with the red dress in her right hand and a frown on her face. "What's wrong, Aaliyah?" Shawn asked her, concerned.

"We're not buying the dress." She stated.

"What do you mean we're not buying the dress?" Shawn asked. "Of course we are. Unless you don't like it anymore. Do you not like it?"

"No it's not that, I love it." She looked at the dress then back at us. "It's just that it's three hundred dollars and I only brought one hundred."

"I can pay for it." Shane smiled as he reached in his back pocket to grab his wallet.

"I can pay too, we can all pay a hundred, plus tax, but we can figure that out when we get up there." I smiled as I went to unzip my purse.

"No B, it's fine." Shawn grabbed my arm to stop me from unzipping my purse to grab my wallet.

"Are you sure? I really don't mind." I looked at Shawn, then at Aaliyah.

"Let's go, Liyah." Shawn waved Aaliyah to follow him to the counter.

"Shawn you really don't have to do this, I feel awful." Aaliyah's face was sad.

Shawn rubbed her arm and smiled at her. "I want to. You look beautiful in that dress. A beautiful dress for my beautiful little sister." Aaliyah tilted her head and tried her hardest not to break her sad expression with a smile. "I would pay two hundred more dollars if it meant you got the dress."

Even I couldn't help but smile at that comment. Shawn was a good guy, he always has been, that's why our friendship has lasted so long.

I watched the cashier's lips move as she told Shawn the total. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out his credit card, then he handed it to the cashier and she ran it.

"Thanks for shopping here today, hope to see you soon." The cashier said, well rehearsed with a smile plastered on her face.

Shawn just nodded his head and smiled, and I caught up with the two of them as they were walking out of the store.

"Anywhere else you guys want to go?" Shawn asked.

"Starbucks, please." Aaliyah begged, then she got really quiet. I was assuming that she remembered how much Shawn had just payed for her homecoming dress a second ago.

"Let's get Starbucks, on me." I smiled, trying to change the mood. Aaliyah did not look pleased, she didn't want to make me pay for anything of hers, just like Shawn. "Shawn bought mine last time, so I owe the Mendes' anyways." I grinned, combing Aaliyah.