Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Are you sure?" I asked my mom again.

"Yes, I am sure!" She said as she turned me around and pushed me towards the door, both her and my dad following me out. "We have some work to do, and Shawn was nice enough to offer to drop you off on his way back to college."

"You're coming to visit soon though, right?" I asked them, panicking.

"Of course we are!" My dad came towards me and pulled me into a tight hug. "In two days we'll be up, you have nothing to worry about."

"We will be counting down the minutes." My mom said as she waited until it was her time to hug me. Both of them kissed the top of my head before I got into the car.

"Thanks again, Shawn." My dad patted his back.

"Thank you, Shawn. You're a great boy." My mom grinned at him.

"Thank you. Mrs. Jackson, but really, you guys don't have to thank me, it's on my way and I could use the company." He smiled at me.

"Drive safe you guys, okay?" My mom said as she frantically waved to us as we drove off.

"The drive feels longer when it's just me and the radio, i'm hoping some company will make it feel shorter, someone to talk to."

-

After an hour and a half of laughing, we finally pulled into my dorm. "Is this it?" Shawn asked.

I squinted at the numbers on the door. "Yeah, I think so."

"Great, I have to get back but i'll quickly help you unload first." He said as he popped the trunk and started grabbing my bags.

"Here, let me help." I said as I rushed over to grab some of my bags out of the trunk.

Shawn would fill his hands and arms with bags, carry them to right outside the door, then he would turn back to the trunk to do it all over again.

After we were done getting all of my bags out Shawn and I hugged outside the door. "Sure you don't want to come in?" I asked him, motioning to my dorm as I attempted to unlock the door.

"No, i've really got to get going, but next time." He smiled.

I nodded. "Alright."

I unlocked the door to my dorm as I heard Shawn's car door shut and walked in, looking for a place to set all my bags before I hauled them all in to make a mess.

As I turned into the kitchen I saw a ton of balloons. "What the-" Before I could finish I saw a huge sign that said 'Bostyn' with an arrow down to a piece of line paper.

I maneuvered my way through the balloons floating from the short ceiling and the balloons on the floor to read the note.

'Bostyn-
This is the lamest thing i've ever done. Like the lamest. And if Steve ever heard I did this he would never let me live it down. But it has to be done. I've tried for years to say it to your face, and I realized, enough is enough. I still can't say it to your face, but at least i'm saying it now, even if it's just on paper. I love you. Now that's cheesy, I know, but it's the easiest way to put it. Wikihow told me I should have confessed my feelings for you when I first started feeling them, but how do you expect a third grader to understand this level of love? Anyways, here it is. I have always loved you, more than a friend, more than just someone you hang out with and joke with. I know you might not feel the same way, but I had to get this off my chest. If you don't feel the same way, that's fine, don't feel bad, I just needed to get this over with.
Always with love,
Shawn.'

My heart dropped. This didn't feel real, but I blinked and I realized it was. Before I could even think I ran out of the kitchen, popping a few balloons as I did, and ran straight to the parking lot.

I caught Shawn just before he drove off, his head hanging low in the car, the radio on. He saw me run out and hopped out the car and stood in front of it, several feet away from me.

For a while we just stood there, staring at each other, not sure what to do at this moment in time, but it felt like years had passed as we looked at each other.

I cleared my throat. "Fourth grade. You told Timmy Laken if he ever took my muffin from me again you would make sure it was the last muffin he ever ate, I wanted to kiss you, to say thank you, to show you I appreciated your fourth grade bravery over something so little. But I never did. Gosh, I don't even think I said thank you to you, I just carried on eating my lunch."

Shawn stared at me, not sure where I was going with this story.

"Consider this my thank you for that, and for everything." I said as I walked towards him and kissed him.

I never though I would ever kiss Shawn, well maybe I imagined it, but I never believed it would actually happen. But here I was, standing in the parking lot, my first day on campus, kissing a boy in the parking lot. A total high schooler move for a couple that's supposed to be in college. Well, barely.

The kiss lasted a lot longer than I expected, but not long enough to make up for the years we've had to keep our crushes on each other a secret, fearing the other person only likes us as a friend.

When we finally did pull back Shawn and I both smiled in sync. "I hope that makes up for that day, you were my hero, I just never told you."

"Maybe you could prove I was your fourth grade hero by one more kiss?" He asked, a huge smile on his face.

I tilted my head, acting like I was considering. "Hm, don't push your luck." I laughed as I tapped his nose and walked back towards my dorm.

I turned and saw that Shawn was still standing in the parking lot, right where I had left him. "Help me carry these bags in and i'll consider."

He rushed up and grabbed to of my bags, kissing me on the forehead before shoving them inside and grabbing two more, putting them inside as fast as he could.

-

A/N- so super long chapter, I know. and a dumb ending, sorry:( but thank you for reading this book, if anyone even did hahhaha (sorry it was trash!!) but anyways, thank you guys for reading if you did, i appreciate you very much. and if anyone has any ideas for the next person i should write about, feel free to let me know!

thanks! xoxo -queenarigrande