Chapter Seventeen

I walked into the lobby and saw Shawn lounging in one of the red chairs in front of the front desk. "Hey you, where's Ava?" I asked as I walked and stood in front of him.

"She found a boy."

I choked on my own spit. "She what?" I asked.

"Yeah." He smiled. "He walked in and asked her some question about where to go to find the place we went yesterday, and Ava just offered to show him." He explained nonchalantly.

"How are you so calm?" I asked, excited for Ava.

"Sorry, not really good at the whole girl talk thing." He rolled his eyes.

I quickly sat down right next to Shawn and leaned in. "Do you think he liked her?"

"Yes." He smiled.

"Great." I grinned. "Do you think she liked him?"

"I mean she offered to show him where the place was." Shawn shrugged.

"Not good enough for me. Do you think she liked him?"

"I don't know!" He sat up.

"Think like me!" I hit his arm. "Would I have thought she liked him?"

He closed his eyes and thought for a second. "Yes, you would have."

"Great!" I stood up. "Now let's go."

"Go where?" He asked.

"I need to see these two for myself."

"You are crazy!" His eyes widened.

"I'm bored because no one will go anywhere with me!"

"I'll take you wherever you want to go, you name it." He said. "Anywhere but someplace where you can spy on Ava."

"You said wherever, I want to go there." I grabbed his arm and pulled him out of the chair. "But I do want to go sightseeing later, can we do both?"

"I will give you fifteen minutes to be a spy kid, then we're out of there." Shawn said as he walked towards the door.

"We also need to make a pit stop to buy hats and sunglasses or something." I followed him out the door.

"You're needy."

"You love me." I laughed.

"I never said I didn't, I just called you needy."

-

"Are the sunglasses really necessary?" Shawn asked as he lifted his above his eyes.

"Yes, now put them back down!" I whispered as I peered over my menu. Shawn and I were sitting at a booth that was facing the booth on the opposite side of the room where Ava and the mystery boy were sitting.

"You know that that brings more attention to you, looking over the menu like a weirdo."

I dropped the menu and lifted my sunglasses to give him a dirty look. "Drop your sunglasses, she's looking over here!"

I quickly dropped the sunglasses back down and looked away.

"You're good, she's back to small talk with him."

"Does he have a name?" I asked.

"Well I would assume," Shawn had a sarcastic tone to his voice, "but I don't know it."

"Well that's no help."

"Fifteen minutes is up, let's go." Shawn started to stand up, dropping a few euros on the table. "Bostyn. Now."

I sighed and stood up. "I can't just stay a few more minutes?" I begged. "If we get a little bit closer I think I can get a name."

"I said fifteen, and I gave you fifteen, now come on."

"Have a nice day!" The waitress said in English to us as we walked out.

"Thanks, you too!" Shawn and I said in sync. I watched as Ava's head shot up and looked right at us.

I turned and looked at Shawn, hoping he would do something. Shawn cleared his throat, mumbled a quick, "Grazie." And then practically shoved me out the door.

"Think she knows it was us?" Shawn asked me as soon as we got out and onto the busy sidewalk.

"She definitely did."

"What are you going to do about it?" He asked me.

"I can handle Ava." I waved him off. "But what I can't handle is continuing to let the days go by me without seeing anything. Where to?" I asked him.

"A museum!" He grinned.

"Which one? There are tons around here."

"Haven't thought that far ahead." Shawn bit his lip. "The first one we see, keep your eyes open."