Chapter Twenty-Two

"Is she okay?" Shawn asked from the plane seat behind me.

"She will be." I whispered back. Shawn nodded and put his headphones back in.

"Were you talking about me?" Ava asked as she opened her eyes.

"Shawn was just asking how you were doing, that's all."

"I'm fine." Ava said coldly.

"I know you are." I tried to agree with her, even though I knew she wasn't.

"I'm just tired and ready to be home."

"I think we all are." Shelly Duncan, an annoying girl in our grade said. We got stuck next to her on the plane ride back because no one else wants to sit by her.

"Nobody asked you, Shelly." Ava rolled her eyes. The boys laughed from behind us.

I turned and gave the boys a dirty look through the cracks of the seats. "She didn't mean it like that, at least not that harsh." I frowned towards Shelly.

She sighed and continued to read her book. "You had a long trip too, Bostyn, why don't you try to sleep?" Shawn asked from behind me.

-

"Are you going to school tomorrow?" Shawn asked me as we sat on the step of his front porch.

"Don't want to." I yawned. " But I think I will."

"Me too." Shawn yawned. "I have to tell you something." Shawn said, straightening his posture and setting down the cup of tea his mother had just brought out.

"Tell me." I said as I sat mine down next to his and turned towards him, giving him all my attention.

"I got early acceptance to UBC." He said, my heart dropped.

"Early acceptance?" I asked, trying to process what he had said.

"We already talked to my counselor and the principal, as long as I pass these next tests that we're taking this week, i'm done."

"You're done?" I asked. "How?"

"I have been working hard to complete the courses I will be skipping out on online." He explained. "And other than the tests this week, i'm done."

"So when do you start at UBC?" I asked.

"A week from tomorrow." Shawn had a painful look spread across his face.

"And you're moving on campus i'm assuming."

"Look, I know it's not ideal, but I need to do this."

"Do you really though?" I asked. "You can't just wait a few months?"

"I wish I could, okay."

"Do you wish you could?" I asked, standing up.

"Bostyn, sit down please." He said as he grabbed my hand.

I yanked my hand out of his grip. "I thought we were best friends, you didn't think to tell me about this before it was a week before you leave? Come on, Shawn, I fill you in on everything that happens with me, does it kill you to return the favor?"

"I know you're mad."

"Mad is an understatement."

"But we will get through this, Bost, we get through everything."

"You know what, maybe this is good. You need to go on and take this opportunity, and I could use a new friend." I said as I started to quickly walk back to my house.

Shawn stood up and watched me walk away. "You don't mean that."

"You don't know what I mean and don't mean, like you care anyways." I slammed my front door behind me and tried to take a deep breath as I blinked back the hot tears in my eyes.

-

Shawn's POV-

"Principal Cooke, I am so sorry to call you so late at night, but I have a question."

I heard a crackle on the other side of the phone. "No worries, Shawn, what question of yours can I answer tonight."

"I want to be done." I said.

"Done?" She asked, seeming more interested in the conversation.

"Done as in like no more school."

"It's only a week more for you, Shawn."

"A week too much." I said choppily. "I contacted my supervisor at UBC and they said my dorm is open and ready for me to move into. Is there any way I can just take the tests early and get it over with?"

"Are you sure about this, Shawn?" She asked me, sounding unsure.

"Positive."

"Most people don't want to wish their high school experience away like that, you understand that, right?"

"I thoroughly understand that, Mrs. Cooke, but I believe I am ready for bigger things."

There was silence on the other side of the phone for a moment. "Eight am, my office, tomorrow."

"Great!" I said, excited. "Thank you, Principal Cooke."

"Goodnight Shawn."

I hung the phone up and smiled.

"She agreed to it." I said to my parents as I walked back down the stairs.

"She did?" My mom asked.

"Yeah."

"Congratulations, Shawn!" My dad smiled.

"And you're sure this is what you want?" My mom asked.

"As sure as i'm ever going to be."