Chapter Ten

"Did you hear about Carly Goodwin?" Cody asked me at the end of first hour. "Something like Carly Goodwin, I'm not sure if that was the exact first name."

"Yeah, I know Carly. What about her?" I asked.

"I heard she passed out at the party and almost drowned in Emma's swimming pool."

My eyes widened. "No way."

"Way." He whispered because our teacher started talking. "I guess she's like in the hospital now."

"That's terrible." I frowned. "I was at that party, I didn't even hear a single thing about it."

"Yeah I was too, I saw them pull her out of the pool."

"That is so sad. How drunk must she have been?" I asked.

"Pretty hammered." He shook his head.

The bell rang for us to head to second hour and Cody and I both got up. "Well thanks for telling me." I frowned, feeling bad that she was in the hospital.

"Anytime, see you." He said as he turned left. I turned right and went looking for Shawn.

I spotted his black hair and long legs by the boys bathroom. I rushed up to him and tugged on his sweatshirt. "Shawn, hey." I was glad he was alone, well that he wasn't with Steve.

"Woah, I didn't expect to see you right now. What's up, Bostyn?" He asked.

"Did you hear about Carly?" I asked him. He looked confused. "Carly Goodwin."

"Yeah I did." He frowned. "Kids we're talking about it in my first hour."

"It as in-"

"Her passing out drunk and almost drowning, Yeah." Shawn finished my question for me, and answered it.

"Yeah. That really sucks, her parents must be so mad."

"Yeah I guess they're no longer letting her go on the big senior field trip."

"Senior field trip?" I asked Shawn.

Shawn stopped in his tracks for a second and looked at me. "Yes the senior field trip, please tell me you're kidding, Bostyn."

"I wish I was. What field trip?"

"The one we all signed up for in ninth grade. Remember, based on whatever foreign language class you're taking. Spanish students go to Mexico, French students go to France, and students learning Italian go to Italy." He filled me in, waiting for me to tell him I remembered.

"Oh, that's right!" I said, face palming. "When is that again?"

"We leave October third. A little less than a month."

"How did I forget that?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, it's what everyone has been talking about."

"I must have just completely missed it."

"You're still going, right?" Shawn asked. "Come on, Bost, I took Italian for you, just so that we can go to Italy together. You had eighth grade me convinced that this was going to be the best trip of our lives."

"I remember that!" I laughed. "It was scheduling day for ninth grade, and we had the same eighth grade scheduling teacher so we got to create our schedules together!"

"Yeah!" He said, acting fake excited. "Man you're really out of it, aren't you?"

I frowned. "Yes." I rolled my eyes.

"Well you never answered my question. You're still going, right?"

"Well of course, I've already spent the money, I can't back out now!" Shawn gave me a disapproving look. "Not that I would want to!"

"I'm actually regretting choosing Italy. The only reason we passed Italian one and Italian two is because all the answers were online."

"Oh shoot, what are we go to do when we actually get there and can't speak two sentences?" I asked.

"Pray for English speakers." He laughed. "And you're late." He said right after he late bell rang.

"I'm not surprised." I sighed. "Fourth hour?"

"See you then."

-

"You know who else is going to Italy October third?" Ava asked me as she paced my kitchen.

I was comfortably sitting in one of the bar stools, snacking on potato chips as she was stressing out. "Who?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer.

"Steve." She frowned. "Steve. Of course Steve!"

"Calm down, Italy is huge."

"Yeah but we all have to stay in the same hotel. Boys on third floor, girls on fourth. We all have to eat breakfast together and spend the first day together."

"Just the first day out of seven!" I smiled.

"And the plane right there and back."

"You can fake sleep." Ava shot me a look. "I'll be there, so he won't even be by us!"

"But you're best friends with Shawn, and Shawn and Steve are best friends."

"What about me?" Shawn peaked his head in through the sliding back door.

"Nice knock." I said.

"I never knock, you don't expect me to. I didn't want to come in the front door because I saw Ava talking and was hoping I wouldn't interrupt if I walked all the way around. Looks like I was wrong." Shawn informed us.

"You were." Ava and I said in sync. We shared a quick smile then Ava went back to talking.

"Woah woah woah, back track." Shawn put his hand up as he took a seat two barstools down from me. "What about me again?"

"You can't hang out with Bostyn or I in Italy." Ava harshly stated. "Sorry, it's just how it ended up working out."