Chapter Sixteen

"No more shopping." Jason said from behind us.

"We haven't even started yet!" I laughed as I swung the bag of macaroons in my right hand, being careful not to swing them enough for them to fly out or get crushed.

"Bostyn can shop for hours." Shawn rolled his eyes.

"So can Ava." Steve added in, Ava's face got red before she turned away from the boys.

"I'll tell you what." I said. "You guys hang out or go get something to eat or something, we will shop."

"Sounds great to me." Steve laughed.

"Me too." Jason agreed.

I nodded and started to walk down the sidewalk with Ava.

"Steve is acting weird." I said, trying to get her to talk.

She pulled her glasses down from the top of her head to over her eyes. "Mhm."

"Yeah, that was just all really odd, like how he said that you could shop for hours too or whatever." I said, attempting to get her to open up.

"Yeah I was there." She said. I gave her a semi dirty look for her rude response and she cleaned her throat. "I mean, yeah. I thought so too."

"They are all thinking of going back to that club tonight, i'm totally fine with just staying in with you if that's what you'd prefer." I offered.

"But why?" She asked. I didn't have a response that didn't involve Steve at that second, I had to think. "Is it because of Steve?" She asked.

"Well, not only that."

"Well it shouldn't be at all. We broke up a while ago. Yeah he's a jerk, but we can't let that ruin our vacation."

"You're right." I smiled, proud of her since before she was willing to skip school if it meant she could avoid Steve.

"Now where to first. No more Steve talk for now, i'm sick of it."

"Me too." I nodded. "And, there!" I pointed to a random boutique tucked behind a large store.

-

"I see you guys got boba tea." Shawn smiled as we walked towards our hotel.

"How'd you know?" I joked.

"Lucky guess." He shrugged. "And because of those." He pointed to the black dots at the bottom of my drink.

"Wow, you must be smart!" I said sarcastically.

"Have you called your parents yet?" He randomly asked me. "You should."

"Not yet." I said as I pulled out a room key and handed it to Ava. "Meet you up there, i'm going to call my parents."

Ava took the key and smiled. "Say hello to the Jackson's for me."

"You know I will." I smiled.

"Want me to wait up?" Shawn asked.

"No i'm good, thanks." I waved him off and watched him go into the hotel as I dialed my parents number.

After four weird rings the phone finally connected. "Hello?" I heard my mother say in a whisper.

"Mom, it's me, Bostyn."

"Bostyn?" She practically shouted, making me pull the payphone away from my ear.

"Yes." I laughed.

"Doug, honey, it's Bostyn!" I heard my mom yell to my dad.

"Our Bostyn?" I heard him ask into the phone.

"No the hockey team" I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"Our Bostyn!" My dad celebrated on the other line. "How are you doing, kid?"

"I'm doing good. I really miss you guys."

"Oh honey we miss you too, but you need to enjoy your time there!" My dad said, I could tell he was smiling.

"I'll try my hardest." I laughed. "I'm having fun."

"We're happy to hear that." My mom responded.

"Well i've got to go catch up with Ava, I will call next time I get a chance." I told them.

"Sounds great!" My dad said. "I love you."

"We love you!" My mom corrected him.

"Love you guys too, bye."

"Bye honey! Tell Ava and Shawn we said hello!"

"I will, Shawn says hello to you guys too."

"Bye!"

I hung the telephone back up and walked away from the payphone.

"Bostyn Jackson!" I heard someone shout my name as I went to pull open the door to the hotel.

I turned around and saw Jason standing with a group of boys from school, all wearing shorts. "Jason, hey." I said looking at his shorts then looking at him.

"Me and the boys are going to hoop, want to come?" He asked.

"I'll have to pass, thanks though."

"Ava and Shawn are in the lobby." He said before I walked into the hotel.

"Thanks."