Chapter Thirty-One

"I can't believe you!" I shouted.

"I know." Ava responded, looking pale.

"I mean, it's not a bad thing that you and Steve are going to prom together, just-"

"Unexpected." Ava and I said in sync.

"I know, but we've been talking a lot more lately and we agreed to just go as friends, nothing more."

"Well I think that's a good idea." I smiled. "Now let me help you get into your dress without messing up your hair or makeup." I said as I grabbed her royal blue two piece dress off of my bed.

"This is our last school dance, Bostyn." Ava said, stopping while in the middle of unzipping her dress. "Let that sink in."

"It has." I told her.

"And everything is how it's supposed to be." Ava continued. "I'm going with Steve, you're going with Shawn, it's perfect!" She gushed.

I looked over at the teddy bear in the corner that I had won with Jason and sadness came over me. "I guess so." I shrugged.

"What's up with you?" Ava asked, turning around. "You and Shawn having problems or something?"

"No, of course not."

"Then you need to quit acting like, how you are now, and start being the Bostyn I know and love!" She said, shaking my shoulders. "I mean, come on, you're wearing a red Sherri Hill dress that looks like it was made for you and you're going to prom with one of the hottest, if not the hottest guy in school!"

I sighed. "I guess you're right."

"Of course I am!"

"But Ava." I stopped pulling her braids out of her hair and stared at her face through the mirror. "Do you ever feel bad for Jason?"

Ava slammed down the hairbrush that was in her hand. "Jason? The Jason in our friend group?"

"Yes that Jason."

"Why would I feel bad for him?" She asked. "His life is like perfect."

"But still, Ava. I mean, I feel like he's always been an outsider."

"I don't think so."

"And what will happen if we were to ever date Shawn and Steve? What happens to him?"

"He'll be fine! You're stressing way too much about this."

"Maybe I am but i've just been thinking about it a lot lately."

"Did something happen between you and Jason?" She asked me, completely turning around to face me.

"No, of course not! I would have told you if something did." I told her. "Well maybe something. But nothing major."

"Spill!" Ava yelled.

"Ava your hair!" I said, trying to get her to turn around so I could continue taking her braids out so that she could have wavy hair.

"I don't care about my hair." She shrugged. "Now spill, now!"

"Okay well when Jason took me to that arcade in town then dropped me off at night, we almost kissed."

Ava interrupted me by squealing. "Sorry, go on." She said, taking a deep breath.

"You good?" I asked her, a small laugh escaping my mouth.

"Fine, now go on!"

"Okay, well when we got close it felt like there were butterflies in my stomach and I haven't felt that in forever, and I think I might like him."

"Sounds like he likes you too." Ava nodded. "But what about Shawn?" Her smile fell off her face and she looked worried.

"I don't know." I groaned. "That's what i'm trying to figure out."

"Do you ever feel that way with Shawn?" She asked me.

"Well I thought I did, but now I don't know, it's been so long."

Ava's phone dinged. "We're behind schedule." She jumped up and quickly pulled the rest of her braids out. "We can talk more while we put our dresses on, lets go."