Chapter Thirty-Four

"Can I have the next dance?" Shawn asked as Steve and I walked back to our table.

"Long time no see." I said coldly.

"I can explain later." Shawn said as he moved his chair over to make more room for us.

I took a deep breath and focused on losing the bad attitude. "No need to, I understand."

"But I will." He had a serious look on his face as he stared me in the eyes.

"If you insist, but you don't have to."

"I do insist."

"What are you two talking about?" Steve asked as he sipped his red solo cup. "Looks serious."

"I don't even know, to be honest." I shrugged.

"I know, I'm the worst date ever, but I'll make it up to you. I swear." Shawn told me as he patted my back before getting up. "Want to dance?"

"I think I might sit this one out." I said, still feeling annoyed, and kind of tired at this point.

Ava looked at me with a disapproving look. I looked up and Shawn was still towering over me, waiting for a different response to come out of my mouth. "Fine." I gave in.

"I ruined your night." Shawn said as we slow danced to a song that sounded like it was from 2004.

"You didn't mean to."

"But I still ruined it, and that's not fair to you." I could tell he felt bad. "Between getting into that.. argument with Jason to bailing on you for like an hour, I feel like a complete jerk."

"Don't, it's not a big deal."

"I think it is."

"Well I don't, just drop it, okay?"

"Bostyn-"

"I said drop it." I said, my voice echoing loudly right after the song ended. A few people around us stared at me. My face got as red as a tomato and I wished that I was in my room, alone. "I need some air." I said, letting go of Shawn and quickly walking away, holding my dress up so it wouldn't drag.

"But Bostyn, they're about to announce the prom king and queen." Shawn said, stopping me.

"Congratulations in advance, I'm sure your speech will be on Twitter or something." I spat as I turned and quickened my pace towards the doors, starting to feel light headed.

I practically ran outside, not stopping until I was crouching against the brick wall, no longer caring about my dress.

"Hey stranger." Someone said to me. "Haven't seen you in a while."

I was not in the mood to make small talk, but I looked up anyways. "Cody." I gave a small smile since it was all I could get myself to do.

"Hey are you feeling okay?" He asked me as he pressed his hand to my forehead.

"Why, am I looking that rough?" I asked him, a sarcastic laugh coming out of my mouth.

"You, looking rough? Nonsense." He smiled. "But you do feel really warm."

"It's like four hundred degrees in there." I pointed to the gym.

"Why do you think I'm out here?" He laughed.

"Right."

"But what's wrong? It's more than just the heat that's getting to you, I can tell."

"Shawn's a mess."

"Shawn Mendes?" He asked. I nodded. "I didn't know that boy could be a mess, isn't he like, perfect?"

"That's what they say." I rolled my eyes.

"You don't agree?" He asked. "That he's perfect."

I thought for a second. "I used to think he was." I looked at Cody and saw he was waiting for me to elaborate. "I used to think he was perfect in general, and perfect for me. Now I don't know."

"Why don't you know?" He asked me. "Sorry is its too personal, you don't have to answer."

"No it's not too personal, it's okay. It's just, ever since we realized that we won't always be living across from each other and at the same school, it feels like our relationship is different."

"Relationship?" He asked.

"Friendship." I corrected myself. "It's like Shawn's changed, and we no longer know how to act towards each other. It's like he's moved on and is in the big world, going to college and everything, and I'm still stuck at high school, living with my parents."

"That's not a bad thing, you know. Everyone moves on in life at different speeds."

"Yeah but Shawn is going a hundred miles per hour and I'm going twenty. It feels like he's way ahead of me, and I'm just left behind."

"Then you should tell him that." Cody told me.

"I could never."

The door swung open and Steve popped his head out. "Bostyn, you coming back in? Or are you giving Shawn a taste of his own medicine?"

I looked at Steve, then back at Cody.

"I'll be in in a minute."