Chapter Six

"Want to hang out tonight?" Shawn asked as he approached my locker.

"Yeah sure." I made sure to grab my math book out of my locker this time. I handed the book to Shawn, and he grabbed it and put it in my backpack. "Thanks. My house or yours?"

"Well it was your house yesterday, so mine."

"Sounds good, I can walk over after school." Shawn lived across the street, a few houses down from me in our neighborhood.

"Great." Shawn smiled.

He went to take a step forward to walk with me to class when I stopped him. "You know, you don't have to walk with me to class anymore."

"Why? Because you can just walk with Cody?"

"I didn't mean it like that, it's just that you're probably late to your class everyday because we have to walk to my class first."

"Well if we start walking now we won't be." He widened his eyes at me to see if I was going to agree and let him walk me to class instead of walking with Cody.

I nodded and took a step, and Shawn did the same thing. It was awkward between us, but I tried to shake it off.

"So after school, my house?" Shawn asked as we were almost to my class, this was the first we've talked on the long walk since the argument at the beginning.

"Yeah, and i'll see you fourth hour."

"And lunch at my table, right?" He asked as I reached for the doorknob.

I smiled because it felt more normal. "I guess if I have to."

-After School-

"Welcome to mi casa!" Shawn swung the door open to his house before I could even knock.

"Thank you." I smiled as I walked in.

"My dad is still at work and my mom is picking up Aaliyah from hockey practice." Shawn filled me. He pulled out a bag of popcorn and lifted it to see my response. I nodded and he took the wrapping off and stuck it in the microwave.

"How were Steve and Ava today?" I asked as I opened the fridge and grabbed a water.

"They were fine, they had to talk though." Shawn opened up a drawer and pulled out a pink straw. "I know you like straws in your water." He handed me the straw and I smiled and put it in my water bottle.

"Wait." I stopped sipping and remembered that Shawn just said they had to talk. "They talked? Ava and Steve?"

"Nothing major, calm down." The microwave beeped. "He was standing in the middle of the aisle so she just said 'excuse me' and he just said he was sorry."

"Any awkward eye contact?" I asked.

"Well obviously." Shawn passed the bowl of popcorn to me. "You staying for dinner?"

"Not sure yet."

"Well you should." He smiled. "Hey that new friend of yours is in my sixth hour."

"What new friend?" I asked.

"Caleb."

I gave him a dirty look. "Cody, you know that."

"That's it, him."

"What about him?"

"He's just in my sixth hour, pretty cool guy."

"I agree."

"You're still mad at me about the party, I can tell."

"I told you I wasn't." I disagreed, even though I still was.

"How can I make it up to you?" He asked as he handed me the remote. "I picked last time."

I scrolled through and chose the movie 'Mean Girls'. I wasn't obsessed with the movie like most girls my age, but I knew that Shawn didn't really like it. "Mean girls." I smiled.

"How did I know."

"You had no idea."

"You pick mean girls every time you're mad at me. Jokes on you, it's actually growing on me." Shawn reached over and grabbed a handful of popcorn out of the bowl that was sitting in my lap.

"Is it too late to change it?" I asked.

"Movies already started."

I swung my legs around so that I was laying down on the couch and put them onto Shawn's legs. "Hey." I spoke up, remembering something.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Go grab that old photo album you were talking about the other day."

Shawn smacked my foot and smiled. "I almost forgot!"

"Okay, ouch." I pulled my foot back and laughed.

"Sorry."

"You're good, just go grab it." I kicked his arm with my leg as he got up. After a short amount of time he returned with a brown photo album. He wiped off a little dust off the top and handed it to me. I quickly flipped through the pages with my mouth opened, shocked and happy to be seeing these pictures again after so long.

"Remember that day?" He asked as he pointed to a picture of us hugging in the gym. "Our team won the dodge ball tournament."

"You were the best player on the team." I smiled as I remembered that day in my head like it was yesterday.

"Hey you weren't so bad yourself." He leaned back over my shoulder to continue looking at the album.

"The Halloween party from sixth grade!" I laughed as I pointed to a picture of Shawn and I dressed up. "I love the banana costume."

"I picked it out all by myself, I was so excited."

I scoffed when I looked at my costume. "Lucky, my mom picked out mine." I was dressed as Cleopatra. It was actually kind of cute now that I was looking at it, but I remembered hating it when I was younger.

The front door flung open, causing Shawn and I to jump.

"Good, Bostyn's here." Aaliyah said as she threw her hockey bag down as soon as she walked in.

"Nice to see you too, Aaliyah." Shawn shook his head.

"I see you everyday." Aaliyah gave Shawn a dirty look, then she turned back to me. "Bostyn I need your help."

"Sure. With what?"

"When is your homecoming?" She asked.

"No idea, probably in like three weeks, why?" I asked her.

"Can we go shopping for our dresses together?"

"I don't think i'm going to homecoming, but we can go shopping together for yours!"

"Great, mines in a week and a half."

"Who are you going with Aaliyah?" Shawn butted in.

"Why do you care?" She asked.

"Yeah Shawn, why do you care?" I laughed.

"Because you're my little sister, I have to know!" Shawn begged.

"I don't care." Aaliyah shook her head and walked upstairs.

I turned and looked at Shawn who seemed kind of mad. "She doesn't care."