Chapter Thirty-Five

"I guess a congratulations is in order." I said as I took a seat, now sitting across from Shawn.

He gave me a weird look because I was sitting away from him then shook it off. "Thank you." He smiled.

"Guess who got queen." Ava turned to me.

"Who?" I asked.

"Leah Bury." Ava rolled her eyes.

"Gross." I pretended to gag myself.

"What's wrong with Leah?" Shawn asked.

"Shawn are you kidding? I've only ranted to you a hundred times about her!"

"Sorry, bad memory."

"I went to a party last summer and she made out with almost every guy there." Steve blurted out.

"And let me guess, you were one of them?" Ava asked him.

"I'd prefer not to answer." He quickly drank his cup of pop and got up to get another one.

"We cannot stand her." I continued. "She is the most conniving, dramatic, liar i've ever met."

"Wow, you must really hate her." Shawn shook his head.

"We do." Ava and I said at the same time.

-

We had spent a half an hour or so just talking at the table, and even though it was only twelve thirty, several people were already deciding to leave.

"I think i'm about ready to go, too." Ava said, looking at Steve.

"Yeah sure we can go soon." Steve shrugged. "But first, one last dance?"

Ava stuck her hand out for Steve to grab before they made their way to the dance floor.

"You about ready to go too?" I looked at Shawn who was reading the ingredients of the mints that were in the middle of our table.

"Yeah, this blows, not as hype as I expected." He frowned. "Why, are you ready?"

"Yeah," I tried to reposition the back of my dress. "my dress is getting a little bit itchy by the back of my arms."

"That's not good." He shook his head. "One last slow dance like Ava and Steve?" He asked me.

"I thought you'd never ask." I smiled.

"You knew I would."

"I know." I laughed. "But that's what they say in movies."

"But this is better than a movie." Shawn had a small smile on his face. "Because we're not just pretending."

Shawn and I were close, his warm breath blowing into my face ever time he spoke. I felt comfortable around Shawn, safe, like old times.

I looked up into his brown eyes and smiled, butterflies fluttering in my stomach, more than I had ever felt when I looked at anyone else, the fluke with Jason included.

"Thank you for coming with me." Shawn said quietly, his voice gentle.

"Thank you for asking me to come with you."

"You're the only person I wanted to go with, the first person I thought of when they started mentioning prom."

My heart started to beat faster and I couldn't help but smile.

"Sorry i'm never around, I wish I could be."

"Don't say sorry, it's school, you have to go, you need to get your degree."

"I could have waited though."

"That would have been stupid."

"Now I feel stupid."

"Don't." I quickly stopped him. "You're so smart."

"Well it doesn't feel like it. I'm like failing a class!"

"Have you been studying?"

"As much as a boy living at a fraternity can."

"That's your first problem." I laughed.

"Anyways that's not what I want to talk about."

"Oh?" I said, confused why he all of a sudden got so serious.

"I know it's been tough, Bostyn. And I know it's been difficult to be as close as we used to be because we're not living as close anymore, but I wanted to tell you that I love you. But not the I love you we say when we end a facetime call or the I love you you say to Ava, I -"

"Shawn!" Leah ran up, inserting herself between the two of us.

"Bostyn are you okay?" Shawn asked me, ignoring Leah.

"Shawn, we have to do the prom king and queen dance, come on they're about to start the slow song!" She said grabbing his hand and yanking him.

"Can it wait a second?" Shawn asked, looking over at me.

"The dj doesn't wait, and neither do I." She continued to try to yank him.

"I'm sorry." Shawn looked at me sympathetically.

"What were you going to say?" I asked him.

Leah looked annoyed and anxious. "Um," he thought for a second. "that I think we can work it out."

"Oh." I said, a feeling of disappointment coming over me. "Yeah, me too."

"I don't want to make you wait for us to dance and take pictures."

"I don't mind." I lied.

"But I do. Catch up with you later?"

"Yeah, sure." I smiled. "I'll head back with Ava and Steve, they can drop me off on their way to their houses."

"Want me to stop by after this? Bring some food?" He asked, trying to loosen his hand a little from Leah's tight grip.

"No you're okay, just do your thing. We can maybe meet up tomorrow." I said, feeling bad that I was being petty but I was so annoyed that I didn't care.

"Maybe?" He asked.

Before I could respond Leah finally yanked him hard enough that they were in the middle of the dance floor, away from me.

"Can you two drop me off?" I asked Steve.

"No Shawn?" Steve asked me. Ava stomped on his foot and he shut his mouth. "Of course we can drop you off, let me just grab my coat."