Chapter Thirty-Six

"I feel awful." Shawn frowned as he held up a blue sweatshirt to me.

"Stay." I told him as he tossed it into the pile of clothes that would stay at my house when I went off to college. "And why?" I asked.

"Prom sucked."

"It was okay." I shrugged.

He laughed. "You know it sucked too."

"I wouldn't say those exact words, but maybe in that ball park."

"I'm the reason it sucked." Shawn continued to rant. "And i'm so sorry for that."

"I've told you a million times, it's okay. Proms dumb anyways."

"But it shouldn't be. I made it worse. I'm the reason you'll always think of prom as a bad thing, a bad memory."

"Don't blame yourself, Shawn." I stopped folding clothes and gave him a sympathetic look.

"But I do."

"Well you shouldn't."

He let out a deep breath. "Excited to move out?"

"Not sure yet. Mixed emotions."

"I felt the same way, but I think you'll like being on your own, much more freedom."

"I hope i'll like it. Ava will be with me at least."

"You're lucky."

"I am." I agreed.

"Nervous for graduation?"

"Why would I be?" I asked.

"No reason."

"Are you nervous for graduation? Are you even coming back for the ceremony?"

"Of course I am!" He shoved a pair of jeans into the 'go to college with me' pile.

"Just a question, don't get so defensive!" I laughed. I threw a pair of sweatpants to him. "College pile."

"What kind of a question was that?" He asked, but he seemed to be back to normal.

"A valid one. Now back to my previous comment. Are you nervous about the ceremony?" I asked him.

"Maybe a little."

"Why?" I asked, curious and concerned that I should be nervous too.

"Just not sure if i'm ready to say goodbye to it all yet." He stood there with a Justin Bieber shirt in his hand, he was frozen in his position.

"Haven't you already?" I asked.

He cleared his throat and came back to reality. "Um is this one college or stay?"

"Stay, definitely."

"Why? Don't want to take the Justin shirt?"

"No!" I shouted. "It's like sixteen year old Bieber."

"How awful!" He rolled his eyes.

"Just throw it in the stay pile and keep going," I ordered him. "please."

"Caps and gowns are nice." He random blurted out.

"Uh yeah," I agreed, thinking it was weird he was bringing graduation back up. "haven't had the time to look at mine but I guess they are."

"I tried mine on again yesterday."

"And it fits?" I asked.

"Surprisingly."

It was silent for a minute.

"Look, Shawn, if you have something to tell me then just tell me. What's really bugging you?"

"I already told you." He calmly said. "Just not sure if i'm ready for everything to change so much, that's it."

I took what he said in and thought about his words for a second. "You sure that's all? You've been acting weird."

"Positive."

"Alright, but don't ever say I didn't ask."

"I would never."

I looked back at him as he picked up an old dusty school t-shirt. "Don't even bother looking at that one, throw it right in the stay pile." I scoffed.