chapter 27

ʚ|ɞ    

"She is such a sweet girl. I am glad he found her" says, mom, taking a sip of wine.

I absentmindedly nod my head along, not really following the conversation. I know she is trying to discuss Micky and his girlfriend with me but my mind is too occupied right now to make any comments regarding my big brother's unexpected love life.

The whole absurdity of this normal dinner with my mom fills me up with a deep sense of betrayal. I feel guilty for not being able to help him out. Here I am having a dinner with my mother as if nothing has happened while Leo is locked in some unknown dark part of Hell.

I don't know for sure if he even is in Hell. For all, I know Lucifer has him locked up somewhere in heaven too. Although the latter seems unlikely.

Like a broken DVR system my brain keeps replaying the scene over and over in my head. The image of, ten Uigiliarum's piercing Leo's body with their spears continues to flash behind my eyes. I am afraid the horrid image is forever going to haunt me now. 

Neither of us sees what happened after that part.

The Uigiliarum's had vanished in a cloud of dark smoke taking Leo with them. I was frozen on the spot for a minute, too stunned to function properly. I think we all were. Even the Demons that were lingering in the shadows had gone still as a dead body.

I remember Arakh had been the only one to act, as he rushed to my side to take a protective stance in front of me. His wings spreading out to shield me from them.

It was a good thing that I got my bearings under control just a few seconds before Sara or we would all be sharing the cell with Leo right now. Only Sara would thing that Punching Lucifer for what he did is a good idea, right after seeing with her own eyes exactly what he is capable of.

Arakh and I together had to hold her back from committing that suicide. She didn't give up though because if my memory serves right she had thrown her converse at Lucifer's retrieving back right before Arakh few us back.

Now I can only pray that she had missed her target or God help us all.

In frustration, I push my plate with untouched food aside, quickly thinking up an excuse to tell her.

"I...forgot my English assignment" I call back as I run upstairs to my room.

My stomach growls as soon as I close the door. Craving some fuel for the sake of energy but I know I won't be able to swallow anything without choking on it. Honestly, I don't even know when was the last time I had a decent meal or sleep for that matter. All these trips to Hell have messed up my time.

Ignoring my growling stomach, I start pacing back and forth, racking my brain to stop the mental images from running through my eyes yet again.

I wish Arakh was here. He would know how to calm me down or at least provide some insight into what exactly happened. Everything was fine until yesterday. What changed between then and now?

Well, maybe I just need to be patient for some time. Arakh has gone back to Heaven to get in touch with other angels. I am sure he will figure something out soon. He will find it out.

"Yeah it will all be fine," I say out loud to myself. My eyes landing on my phone and I quickly snatch it from my study desk. I hit the speed dial and call Sara.

I impatiently tap my foot, waiting for her to pick up. Her phone is ringing but she doesn't pick up. I try again and again. After four miss calls, I curse loudly and throw the phone on my bed in anger.