Chapter 5

It always felt more like a night terror when it came back, the image of the car, somersaulting in the air

It felt as if I was dying from the pain in my brain. I was desperately trying to wake up, screaming for help, yet nobody ever came.

The seatbelt dug into my neck, my chest, cutting off my cries as we tumbled like clothes in a washing machine - twisting and turning in the air.

Suddenly my body jerked to the side and my skull bashed against the passenger window, sending unbearable pain into my body as the jagged glass engraved multiple wounds into my head.

After that, everything came to a halt; only silence was left. Panic began to clog up in my throat, restricting my breathing as flickering orange tint invaded my vision.

Then, I grew accustomed to what had just happened. Stealing a glance to my empty left, my mind fought the haziness. A piercing scream evaded my throat, breaking free as if it had been chained to my throat for a millennium.

"BRIAAAAN!" I screamed when I glimpsed the still body outside on the ground a few feet away from the car.

Fuming with my seatbelt, with a lot of effort, I freed myself.
Immediately, I got out of the car and ran towards him.

I looked down at him, lying on the ground. He looked like me, was the copy of me but... the person was dead, eyes fixed and vacant while the pale body was full of bruises, blood everywhere.

I crouched down and laid my shaking hand over his still chest.

"BRIAN, WAKE UP!" I screamed but he wasn't answering.

I picked up his hand, still warm but it didn't feel the same anymore. Touching it to my newly wet cheek, I closed my eyes for just a moment.

"Wake up." I pleaded in pain, tears flooding down my cheeks. "Please, o-open your eyes."

In that eternal second I felt his presence again, like the last laugh we never got to share. My mind struggled to stay in that moment, to keep him close, but the clock ticked forwards, his spirit was gone.