Chapter 30

I heard hushed voices around me

I heard hushed voices around me. Two male voices. One of those voices was really close to me, as if the person was lying next to me. I recognized it immediately. It belonged to him. Diego.

My heart skipped a beat at the sound of closing doors and my eyes snapped wide open when I recognized the sound of beeping machines surrounding me.

No, no, no! Not again!

I flinched at the sudden touch on my cheek but immediately relaxed at the sound of his voice.

"Shh, you're perfectly safe." He murmured and I turned my head to look at him, meeting his beautiful eyes.

That was enough for me to forget about the place from my past and the place I was right now in.

"You fell asleep." He explained, offering me a gentle smile, his thumb subtly caressing my cheek. "You slept peacefully the whole night."

The whole night? I slept peacefully in a hospital? Without taking my pills and without any nightmares? And next to him? Like this? Glued to him as if I were his second skin?

"I'm sorry." I mumbled and tried to stand up but Diego grabbed my hand, stopping me.

"Where are you going?" He asked as if being scared of me leaving him alone here.

"I need to use the bathroom." I partly lied. I wanted to pee, that was true, but it wasn't the reason why I was trying to get away from him.

His closeness was confusing me. I still couldn't understand what were all those feelings I've been having when I was around him.

"Oh." He let go of me so I could stand up and go and use the bathroom.

A few moments later, I washed my face with cold water, trying to cool down a bit, but it didn't help much. I couldn't even close my eyes because I would see his face. I would imagine his lips. How they smile at me, how they move when they speak to me. I would imagine the feeling of them pressed against mine. It happened only once. Just once I tested his lips and that was enough for me to remember how good they felt and how inviting they were.

Was that all really just lust? Or was it something more?

I took a deep breath in before I returned to the room, my eyes widening at the sight.

"What are you doing?!" I rushed over to him when I saw him struggling onto his feet.

"We're leaving." He answered simply as if I asked what weather was outside.

"Have you gone mad?" I snarled while supporting him with my arms around his torso. "You can't leave yet. You're not fine!"

Diego chuckled in return, swinging his arm around my shoulders for support. "Who'd say you would be the one convincing me to stay a bit longer in a hospital."