Chapter 41

🚨Hot details alert 🚨🔞

"A child?" I gasped, my eyes widening in horror

Now the idea of him having a mistress isn't that bad, is it?

"You want a child? When?" The better question would be, why?

No, he doesn't want children, you just heard wrong.

Diego shrugged casually, resting his elbows on each side of his seat. "I wouldn't mind now, but I know you're not ready yet."

Okay, maybe you heard right...

"You bet I'm not!" I was on my feet sooner than I realized, marching towards the door. "And I won't be!" I shouted at him just to make sure he'd got it before slamming the door behind me.

"A child you see!" I grumbled under my breath when I stormed out of the elevator, around the reception and out of the building.

I was furious and scared at the same time. He wanted a child from me. A CHILD! A person living inside my uterus for nine months and then coming out of my vagina in no less than merciless way!

I should have known better! I should have figured it out the first time I saw him with his niece. He adored babies. He wanted to have a family on his own. And he wanted it with me.

He wanted me to saddle down, commit myself to him fully. I couldn't do that. I told him that already.

"I cannot give you things you probably want from me." Those were my exact words. And he told me he wouldn't push me!

I never wanted to have a child because I knew I'd choose her or him over anything, even myself. And I didn't think I would handle it.

Being his or hers shelter, a guardian, a forever home... Constantly with an open door, the key always in his or hers pocket...

I would have to walk through the gates of hell to keep him or her safe and feel honoured to be given the chance, feeling only gratitude.

A child was a lifetime responsibility. And I sure as hell was not the person to handle that kind of responsibility.

And what if some day we would end up divorcing each other? Letting a child go through that was simply cruel.

And I wasn't stable. I couldn't offer a stable life to anybody.

I was in a psychic clinic for Pete's sake! Oh my god! I tried to kill myself! There was no way I was bringing a child into this messed up world.

But then... it would make him happy. He deserved to be happy. And it should be flattering that he wanted to have a child with me.

Me.

With all my problems and my stubbornness and all the other compliments he said about me being irresponsible and so on.