Chapter 18

When I opened my eyes again, I wasn't in the same place I remembered

When I opened my eyes again, I wasn't in the same place I remembered. I woke up to soft sheets, and the morning light trickling in through the blinds.

I was lying in an illegally comfortable bed, hugging a pillow to my chest, which smelled deliciously and smothered me delightfully. Though my eyes were open I couldn't think of why, my heart was pounding, mind empty.

It was as if a hypodermic of adrenaline has been emptied into my carotid. I strained into the utter darkness when I looked around myself, heart beating rate beginning to speed at the sight.

Diego was sitting in an armchair not that far away from me. He was asleep, as still as a brick. The only movement was the slight rise and fall of his chest. His elbow was resting on the arm of the armchair, hand supporting his head that rested in his palm.

His features were much softer in sleep, the lines that usually creased his brow replaced by the youthful appearance that matched those of others his age. He looked peaceful as his consciousness swirled in the land of dreams, oblivious to the physical world.

This was just great, I greeted the New Year in Diego's bed. I could only hope the saying about meeting the new year together wasn't truthful - How you meet the new year is how you will spend it.

God forbid.

Carefully, I sat up, acknowledging that I didn't take my sleeping pills but slept without nightmares anyways. Something like this never happened before.

Letting go of the pillow, I dragged my feet off the bed and rubbed my knuckles onto my eyes. Glancing down, I then noticed the change of clothes.

I wasn't wearing my clothes from yesterday, instead, one oversized black hoodie covered my body.

No need to ask myself how I ended up in his bed. I could just assume he carried me upstairs and I'm sure that's what happened, unless I was capable of teleporting, but so far, I wasn't aware of that capability.

However, what worried me was the change of clothes. Did he do it or did I? That's something I couldn't remember. Just the thought of him touching my body made me...uncomfortable even thinking about it.

Let's just say I was the one who did it. End of story.

I stood up, looking around the room for any signs of my clothes and when I glimpsed my jeans, I tiptoed over and grabbed my clothes.

Each step taking carefully, I tiptoed over to the door and left the room, closing the door behind me quietly. Heading towards the staircase, I tripped a few times along the way, but I managed to stay on my feet.

Downstairs, I changed back into my clothes and then, not waiting any second longer, I left a note in the kitchen, saying thanks for the babysitting but that I had to leave and then I left, heading back to the apartment building.