Chapter 28 - Heroes of the Past

Link's POV
'You let us down, Link'

'You're the weakest reincarnation. Pathetic'

'You're a disgrace to us all'

'What kind of hero lets himself be captured by the enemy?'

Shut up... shut up!

I pressed my hands to my ears, but it didn't help in the slightest. It was as if the voices were inside my head. The voices of the heroes of time gone by.

'Do you even possess the triforce of courage? You cower before the demon lord'

'You're weak'

'You rely on Fi to save you all the time'

'You can't do anything for yourself'

No... it's not true! I am strong! I am independent!

'Stop lying to yourself. You know you can't beat Ghirahim, why don't you give it up?'

'If you just submit to him, it'll be so much easier. He'll treat you right if you just be a good boy for him'

No! Be quiet! Leave me alone!

I felt cold fingers wrap around my shoulders, and ear piercing screams filled the air. My screams.

'Hey, little ex-hero. I defeated Zant, then Ganondorf, with Zelda at my side. You may have defeated Demise, but you comprised Zelda and allowed Demise's little pet to escape. You're not a true hero'

I shook the... thing off and shuffled away until my back hit what I assumed was the metal door, from the cold feel of it. I couldn't the see through the darkness, but I could sense them. I could sense the owners of the voices.

Icy fingers trailed down my face, and I turned my face away with a whimper. Please... just stay back!

How long have I been in here? Minutes? Hours? Days? Months?

It feels like a lifetime.

As my eyes began to adjust to the darkness, I really wished I couldn't see again. I wish I could un-see the sight that met my eyes.

The figures. They were all...

Me?

As crazy as this sounds, I think I'm seeing past reincarnations of the hero of Hyrule...

As if realising I was now able to see them, the all stared back at me, and their mouths simultaneously widened into sinister grins. I covered my face with my hands and ducked my head between my knees in an attempt to comfort myself a little.

It didn't work.

'The courageous hero? Look at him cower before us!'

'He nearly allowed Zelda to be lost'

'He's a failure'

'No wonder he's all alone, with nobody to turn to'

I felt those icy fingers on me again, trailing down my bare skin. I'm cold. I'm scared. It's too dark. I'm so alone.

"G-" I sobbed, but I stopped myself. I don't need him. I don't need his help. I can take this.

'Going to run on back to your Master?'

'Told you, he can't fight his own battles'

Stop it... Leave me alone!

Tears were running freely down my face now as I sat paralysed. I- I can't take it anymore!

"Ghirahim!" I screamed as one of the icy hands grabbed me and pulled me forwards. I fell to the ground, by chest hitting the floor hard.

"Please... please save me, Ghirahim..." I sobbed quietly, curling up into a ball. "Please..."