XL. Tension

Ivanna Dawk looked at all the people who were present on her family’s modest dining room that evening

She looked at her left and saw her mommy sitting beside her, with her daddy situated at the end of the long table. Her elder sister Rosemarie sat at her daddy’s left side, and just beside her was the lady who was referred to as Baxter. She was wearing glasses, which struck the little girl as odd, since the lady never really wore glasses. At least that’s what she knew upon her numerous visits on her mansion. On Lady Baxter’s left side was her fiancé, the man who bakes super delicious treats, or Shining Man as she referred him. He looked as though he was feeling extra constipated for the evening, for a reason the little girl would never be able to fathom. Next to him was her elder brother Jonas, who seemed really proud of his position in the dining table, for next to him sat the man she called Eyebrows. He was situated opposite her daddy Nile at the other end of the table. Ivanna looked at her right and saw her cousin (F/N) looking very much uncomfortable with her place, and next to her on her right sat a man she had never seen before. The only thing she knew about him was that he was smiling a lot, was super tall, and refused to remove his black bowler hat.

The dark – clad family butler, whose hairline was beginning to recede, cleared his throat for seemingly like the fifth time during that evening as he waited for the man who refused to remove his bowler hat

“Your hat, sir.” The butler said for the fifth time to the man.

Kenny frowned at him, making Ivanna flinch with the sudden mood change.

“Alright.” Kenny almost growled at the butler and removed his hat, slightly hesitant to give the thing to the aging servant. “Do take care of that, or else,…” he said the last sentence quietly and left it hanging for the butler to take the hint.

The man shivered at Kenny’s tone and bowed at him with utmost respect. He scurried hastily out of the room, informing the attendants to start serving dinner.

“I’m very honored to have everyone here for this evening!” Nile announced at the head of the table, his tone was unusually pleasant for the occasion. “I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”