XLIX. Nobles

It all seemed like a whirl in (F/N)'s mind. She didn't even notice it when the music of the waltz came to a halt and everyone stopped moving.

However, she did notice it when the first few notes of the minuet started emanating from the instruments of the excellent musicians hired by the host for the evening. And she definitely noticed it when her partner started guiding her through the steps.

She snapped her eyes up at Erwin, confused as to what's going on in his head. Slowly, every other person, who searched for different partners for the second dance, started getting suspicious as to the meaning behind their actions.

It's only natural, of course. One important rule of etiquette for the Winter Season is this: a Lady must only honor a certain gentleman to just one dance, and one dance ONLY. Not two, not three, just ONE.

Unless, the Lady is willing to be, or is already, engaged to the gentleman in question.

So, why?

Levi, who had perfect and sufficient knowledge of the etiquette of the nobles, noticed this simple, yet suggestive, action from (F/N) and Erwin and was utterly and totally shocked, with eyes wide open and cold feet firmly rooted to the ground. Eren took notice of this and made the initiative to link Levi's arms into his waist and started leading the dance so as not to raise suspicion. Well, they were supposedly engaged, after all.

"Levi, stop staring, please." Eren whispered to him, begging him as some mamas on the crowd of audiences also started noticing Elvis' strange behavior.

Levi turned towards Eren at the sound of his voice and nodded hesitantly, still unable to believe what he just saw. Disturbingly, all kinds of thoughts and ideas started plaguing his mind.

Wasn't it Erwin's plan to confront the Nobleman and the Guard Dog here?

Is (F/N) really getting engaged with Erwin?

Is that his plan, all along? To isolate her from the others so he could marry her?

And he's giving up the entire Legion for this?

Impossible! Levi thought as he began taking the reins for both him and Eren and led the minuet, himself. Erwin is never this shallow! There must be some other thing. There must be a missing piece!

It was then that he realized with a very uncomfortable sensation in his lurching stomach,...

Erwin loves Marie.

And still does.

However, (F/N) did not know all of this as she just let herself be guided by Erwin's strong arms. She remained looking up at him until the man noticed her. He returned the gaze with a loving gaze that completely threw her off - balance.

"Commander?" she began awkwardly.

"Erwin." He answered her, his voice strangely seductive. "Call me Erwin."

"Commander." (F/N) said firmly despite her nervousness. "There are many beautiful women here who can dance better than I do."

"Hmm?"

"Why,... me?" unwillingly, (F/N) made it sound desperate. Well, she was desperate.

Is she going to be engaged to this nobleman this evening?

All of a sudden, the image of Elvis flashed unto her mind at the thought of her walking down that white aisle towards Erwin. She immediately imagined him looking depressed and forlorn, like he lost someone really important to him.