XLI. Rivals

As promised, the horseback riding event that was excitedly mentioned by Jonas during last night’s dinner party was held the next morning in the northern district of Orvud

And once again, Elvis, Jacqueline, Erwin, Delilah, and even Kenny were all invited. Only this time, only Elvis and Erwin were the only visitors who were present. Hange said she had to meet with the others in the Legion. Erwin’s taunts about her being the one who was supposedly looking after the Scouts hit her quite badly that she hastily packed her things and left early in the morning. Delilah refused to join the event altogether, claiming that proper ladies do not gallop on horseback. Kenny mentioned to Nile that he’ll try to make it in time due to some errands, whatever they were. So, safely assuming, he’ll be late.

“I hope he got run over by horses,…” grumbled Rosemarie just beside (F/N).

(F/N) just looked at her, confused by what her cousin just said.

“Who?” she said to her, shifting uncomfortably on the thick, white picnic blanket they were sitting at under the shade of the largest tree in the vast ranch. Her violet riding dress made it even more uncomfortable to sit on the ground for too long.

“You know who I’m talking about.” Rosemarie grumpily muttered, gathering her yellow Sunday dress about her and hugging her bent knees closer to her chest, forming a protective cocoon. “That man with the hat.”

“Oh. Captain Ackerman?” (F/N) answered, then chuckled. “So, the guy freaks you out, eh?”

“Am I the only one who’s freaked out?” Rosemarie looked at her straight in the eye, giving her a look that only a unique girl like her could do.

(F/N) just smiled at her.

“Well, I admit he’s creepy and too talented to be true. But, I assure you, after almost a month of working with him, I found out that he’s actually quite a nice guy.”

Rosemarie sniffed and looked away, a gesture she doesn’t exactly want Delilah to see, as it looked unladylike on her.

“I don’t like that guy. It seems that he had too many secrets I don’t really want to know.”

“You think so?”

Rosemarie just nodded. The girl was strangely perceptive. She couldn’t quite explain it, but every time she said something, it would either be true or almost close to it. She was rarely wrong on her perceptions regarding things, like a psychic.

And her saying something about Kenny? (F/N) just decided to take a mental note for it and made her mind to be extra careful the next time she saw the man.

Rosemarie cocked her head sideways, gesturing to the riding party not far from them.

“How about Shunerman? Were you two in a fight or something?”