XLVI. Mirage

Marie had to catch up to her daughter Ivanna lots of times that day to bring her a coat so she would not get cold. The little girl just loved snow too much, she thought it’s a wonderful fantasy world.

Meanwhile, Jonas was still putting a safe distance between him and the rest of the family members that it’s already turning ridiculous. He even gave (F/N) a weird stare that one time they saw each other. The teen gave her that strange look and just walked past her.

Rosemarie, on the other hand, was a different story, altogether. The girl was just her usual, mystic self. Except that now that the Winter Season event was drawing closer and closer, she was getting more and more depressed for reasons (F/N) couldn’t quite tell. And what’s even more intriguing was her strange demeanor whenever Elvis came to visit. She gave the man this really strange look, and she could even remember that there was a time when she bravely called his attention for a conversation, but didn’t get to talk to him.

But, what’s even stranger was Ivanna’s behavior towards Elvis. Lots of times, the girl would attempt to pull the man’s hair for reasons she didn’t know. There was even a time when the little girl almost touched his hair, but he stood up, making her tumble to the ground from the chair she’s standing on. The man gave her a mortified look that most adults would find threatening, but knowing Ivanna, she still went on with her conquest of touching the nobleman’s hair.

Other than the children’s weird and unexplainable behavior, not to mention Erwin’s almost two months of absence, nothing out of the ordinary had occurred in the household.

Until that day.

The family was having dinner that one cold winter night when Nile called everyone’s attention by clearing his throat loudly, a mannerism he had whenever he was nervous to speak. And just like before, his wife urged him with a warm smile and a gentle touch.

Because, he needed all the help he could get.

“I would like to address this particularly to my children.” He said, then slightly coughed. He really wasn’t used to speaking in front of a large crowd, let alone his own family. Except, of course, whenever the need arises. “Rosemarie, my daughter, I hope you take the opportunity of the Winter Season to find new friends. I do hope that you find in this event the things you are looking for to get yourself prepared for this vast,… world.” He almost dropped his sentence, particularly, that last word, since their world’s really not that big to begin with.

However, the daughter didn’t look pleased or even excited. She didn’t even look up at her father. She just went on eating her dinner in solitude.

“My son, Jonas.” This particular task was taking its toll on him that he almost choked on his own food. All of them were aware of how difficult it was to speak with Jonas and to deal with his annoying mood swings. “After all the events this winter and the celebration for the upcoming new year, you are finally ready. I do hope that this event prepares you socially, if not physically, for your future enlistment in the Trainee Corps. I honestly believe, in all my heart, that you’ll pass as the top of your batch and that you’ll be able to enter the Military Police and be with me. I expect no one else but you to take over my honorary position as the Commander.”

However, the son didn’t look pleased or even excited. He didn’t even look up at his father. He just went on eating his dinner in solitude.

“Ivanna, I do hope that you’ll learn how to be more sociable towards children of your own age. You’ll finally be able to enter your first year of studying this coming year.”

The child wasn’t eating her dinner in solitude. She was playing with her dinner in solitude. But, just like her two siblings, she didn’t look up at her father.