LXVI. Goodbye

"Captain Levi?"

"Captain Levi?"

"(F/N)."

She can't believe her eyes. It really was Levi, himself.

But, what was he doing here?

"W-what are you doing here?" (F/N) stuttered, not really prepared for this particular encounter.

"I have come to confirm Hange's news." he answered. "Turns out it is true."

Silence.

For a moment, none of them uttered a single word. The two of them just stood there trying their best to avoid each other's eyes. That was until (F/N) noticed Levi's clothes, which was the official uniform for the veteran Soldiers for the Scouting Legion.

Levi noticed the reaction on (F/N)'s face, so he provided the answer, himself.

"I just got back in the Legion." he said.

"Oh."

More silence. Just when she was about to utter the words she had been rehearsing for when they would finally meet, words like, why didn't you come sooner?, I have been waiting for you!, and what took you so long?, Levi went a bit closer to her as he took out something from his trench coat pocket. It was her old diary which she left at the Dawk Residence. And he was handing it to her.

"How did you get that?"

"Jonas gave it to me." Levi answered truthfully. It was handed to him by the teenager after (F/N) has left their household. The boy seriously believed that their relationship could be fixed, and that they would start all over again the moment they sit down and talk about matters that caused their misunderstanding.

(F/N) knew deep within her heart what Levi was planning, and despite her wanting so much to take the diary from him, she simply refused him by taking a few steps away from him as if he was bearing the plague.

Levi saw this and was completely hurt.

"Y-you don't want it back?" he asked her, the pain clearly heard from his voice.

"You can have it. Or you can throw it away, Captain Levi." she said, emphasizing on his official, give title.

"Why would I throw it away?" Levi said to her.

"I said if you just wanted to." (F/N) answered, the fire in her voice purely accidental. A thing which she greatly regretted.

However, Levi did not know this as he quietly and dejectedly put the diary back to his pocket. There were just two things in his mind, and he narrowed them down into his only options. The first one was what Jonas wanted, and the second one was what he didn't really want, but have to work on, anyway.

And, it seems that he had to go to the second choice, seeing that ring on her left finger. She was, indeed, getting married.

Yes, he has finally made a decision.