Chapter Eight - Together

Bella nudged me when we were at school meaning Jasper and Edward were here

Bella nudged me when we were at school meaning Jasper and Edward were here. I told Cleo to walk. We headed past them and into the forest. I knew they would follow but we wanted to talk the boys alone so we split. Not far. But the two of us had privacy with each of them. I dropped my back and loosened my grip on Cleo.

"You extremely fast and strong. You are ice cold and sometimes you speak like you're from a different time. You don't eat or drink, never seen in sunlight. How old are you?"

"17." he replied

"How long have you been 17?" I asked

"A very long time." I breathed heavily

"I know what you are. We both do."

"Say it. Out loud."

"Vampire." I breathed

"Are you afraid." I turn around

"No."

"Then ask me the most basic question. What do we eat."

"You won't hurt me."

"Who says I won't?" I reached out for his hand.

"You've stopped shaking"

"If you could see I would take you up into the mountain and show you why we can't go in the sunlight."

"What happens."

"People would see were different. It's hard to explain. But I'm a killer, Jackie. A cold blooded killer." He walked past me.

"Follow" I told Cleo and she did "I don't believe that."

"That's because you believe the lie. It's a camouflage. I'm the world's most dangerous predator. Everything about me invites you in. my voice, my face, even my smell. As if I need any of that." There was a woosh.

"As if you could out run me." I turned to where he was coming from

"As if you could fight me off." He was right behind me and I heard the sound of soil and branch snapping. "I'm designed to kill."

"I don't care."

"I've killed people before."

"I've met extraordinary people like you before. Do you not hear me? I don't care."

"I wanted to kill you. I've never wanted to kill a human more in my own life." He touched my face and I closed my eyes.

"I trust you."

"Don't" I took his hand and put it against my heart.

"Do you feel that. It's almost calm but when you're near. It jumps. I've never felt that before, Edward." I leaned up and he zoomed away.

"My family." I turned "We're different from others of our kind. We only hunt animals. We've learned to control our thirst. But it's you, your scent. It's like a drug to me. You're like my own personal brand of heroin." He jumped down and grabbed my waist.

"Did you hate me when we first met?" I asked

"I did, but only for making me want you so badly. I can't get you out of my head. I still don't know if I can control myself." I slid my had up his face.

"I trust you, with all my heart."

"I can't hear you're thought. Tell me what you're thinking."

"You need to hear what's going on in my head. My heart says everything....I don't know how but I'm falling for you Edward Cullen. I'm afraid of losing you like you're going to disappear." I place his other hand on my cheek.

"You have no idea how long I've waited for you."

"A very long time." he laughed.

We had found a meadow where we talked and laid there. I don't know for how long but the calm and comforting silence was broken by Bella calling telling her to meet me back at her truck.

--------

Bella and I laid on my bed the next morning.

"There are three things were are positive about." I began

"1. Edward and Jasper are Vampires." I hummed

"2. There is a part of them we don't know how bad, But it thirsted for our blood." There was a car honk We got up and went to the window

"3. We're undeniably in love." We sighed and went to get dressed.

When we arrived at school I got out of Edwards car. Bella was riding with Jasper. Edward told me that we both pulled up at the same time.

"Why do I get the feeling that everyone is staring at us?"

"Not everyone. There's one guy...nope he just looked. What the Heck. I'm going to hell anyway." He draped his arm over my shoulder and we walked inside.

"What your brother doing with my sister?"

"Getting a grip and doing the same thing. But he's got his arm around her waist. Ever the Gentleman."

"Is he okay?"

"He handling it. I think is protectiveness is ruling his head right now." I nodded

"So is your Full name Edward Cullen?"

"No, before. Before I was Edward Anthony Masen." We talked all day then spent time together after school.

"So do you have to be dying to you know..."

"No, that's just Carlisle. He wouldn't do that to someone who had another choice."

"When where you changed?"

"1918. Carlisle found me dying of Spanish influenza." I sat down on a large rock

"What was it like?"

"The venom was excruciating. But what Carlisle did was much harder, not much of us have the restraint to do that."

"So it was more than just a bite."

"Not exactly. When we taste human blood, a sort of frenzy begins and it's almost impossible to stop."

"But Carlisle did."

"First with me then with his wife Esme."

"Is he the real reason why you don't kill?"

"No that's not the only reason. My family we think of ourselves as vegetarians. 'Cause we only survive on the blood of animals. It's like a human living only on tofu. It keeps us strong but never fully satisfied. It wouldn't be like drinking your blood for instance.

"Was it other vampires who killed that security guard and Waylon?"

"Yes. There are others out there , Sometimes we run into them."

"Can the others read mind like you can?"

"No, they can't but Alice can see the future and Jasper is sort of Empathic."

"I bet Alice saw us coming."

"Her visions are subjective. The future can always change."